|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Telegraph Media Group has set the pace for change within the UK newspaper industry. We have successfully evolved into a multi-platform digital operation that continues to deliver the highest quality journalism, setting the global news agenda. This transformation means we remain ahead of our competition at the leading edge of the ever-changing media landscape. We also continue to be a brand of choice for the UK's job seekers; recognised for our strong product offering which includes the Daily Telegraph (UK's biggest selling quality newspaper), the Sunday Telegraph, Telegraph.co.uk and Telegraph Mobile and apps.
Purpose & Key responsibilities of position
Work with Editor TCUK to ensure telegraph.co.uk and the Telegraph’s other digital platforms are supplied with suitable and high-quality content, and that the content is optimised, presented and distributed to the highest standard.
- Drive an engaging and compelling website that reflects the Telegraph's values, puts subscribers first and grows the Telegraph's audience.
- Manage the presentation of the telegraph.co.uk homepage, the Telegraph news app, notifications, and liaise with Apple News and other developing third-party platforms to ensure the right content is supplied and promoted.
- Work closely with commissioning editors and digital heads across news, lifestyle, business, sport, video, pictures and design/graphics channels to produce content in a timely way, to the highest publishing standards.
- Develop ideas and commission content in coordination with other desks that will help TCUK have an impact and stand-out against rivals.
- Coordinate the overnight operation, including daily handovers in both the morning and evening with US and Australia offices.
- Liaise with analytics, SEO and social media to ensure priorities are met.
- Display stories and content in innovative ways.
- Think of innovative ways to treat stories and to display content.
- Ensure digital content is published to a high standard.
- Help the website to meet traffic and engagement targets.
- Attend conferences to help drive the digital news and features agenda on a daily and weekly basis.
- Deputise for Editor TCUK, including management of the Portal team.
- Work with the Assistant Editor, TMG to ensure daily digital priorities are met.
Specific requirements / skills
- An editor with significant experience of a top-level news environment and commissioning and delivering digital content.
- Significant experience of digital reporting and publishing, including telling stories in creative ways.
- Command of analytics, social media and SEO issues.
- A track record in innovation and digital thinking.
- Understanding and experience of the different content types that make up a diverse website such as telegraph.co.uk.
- Understanding of photo, video and graphical journalism and how they can be used to develop a website.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with executive editors, heads of departments and senior journalists.
- Demonstrable management experience.
- Experience of subscription-based strategy.
Accuracy and Attention to Detail
- Processes limited amounts of detailed information with good accuracy.
- Utilizes specific approaches and tools for checking and cross-checking outputs.
- Develops and uses checklists to insure that information goes out error-free.
- Accurately gauges the impact and cost of errors, omissions, and oversights.
- Obtains audience needs regarding web/digital products.
- Cooperates with others to select high quality content.
- Determines the merit, quality and consistency of materials.
- Communicates with writers of other materials for publication to correct any outdated or misrepresented information.
- Exhibits interest in new ideas and experimentation.
- Shares ideas and is open to other opinions and views.
- Explores possibilities and their viability.
- Analyses own assignments and work environment for creative changes.
- Explains own role and responsibility within team.
- Describes team mission and objectives in the context of results to be achieved.
- Demonstrates open, friendly, accepting, and supportive behaviours with team members.
- Actively participates in team meetings.
Flexibility and Adaptability
- Adjusts to new or changing assignments, processes, and people.
- Provides examples of shifting from task to task.
- Demonstrates willingness to listen to other opinions.
- Accepts new or radical ideas with an open mind; avoids snap reactions.
What you can expect from The Telegraph if you’re the successful candidate
- A smart, dynamic team of colleagues setting the agenda for personal finance journalism
- The fastest-growing personal finance desk in British journalism, benefitting from new investment on the back of a strong legacy
- A friendly, dedicated newsroom that encourages collaboration between desks and is setting the pace for the future of the industry
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.