|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are looking for an Engineering Director to join our team in Essex
This Engineering Director position is the high level drive behind service delivery excellence in the operating area, focusing on optimising quality, cost and performance. We are looking for someone who has experience within the bus industry.
The Engineering Director as a statutory director and member of the Operating Company senior leadership team is accountable for all aspects of engineering performance in the Operating Company. The post holder will build a customer-centric culture whilst ensuring statutory, legal and regulatory compliance.
Working alongside the operational teams, the Engineering Director will encourage the continued development of disciplined operations to deliver high levels of customer satisfaction through excellent delivery of the customer experience.
To ensure the engineering teams are best leveraged to support the First Bus business strategy, the Engineering Director is a member of the First Bus Engineering Steering Group, whose purpose is to develop and maintain a standard operating model for engineering aligned to the First Bus business strategy.
The ability to facilitate the Divisions target to develop a standard operating model, the Engineering Director will use their experience and network to recommend the introduction of innovation and best practice from across the transport and other sectors, particularly focussed on opportunities for improved performance in safety, engineering efficiency, and profitability.
We are seeking a candidate who has experience in large scale projects and change management in an engineering environment including a proven track record of delivery to time and budget. You must be an excellent communicator at all levels, with genuine empathy for cultural and behaviour change.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications Required
- Strong track record as a credible senior leader within the Bus Industry (Immediate industry knowledge is essential)
- Possession of a suitable engineering qualification (Engineering Degree or equivalent).
- Membership of the Institute of Mechanical Engineering and/or Society of Operations Engineers.
- A team player, wholly committed to working with and supporting their peer group and other colleagues to achieve the First Bus business strategy
- Able to develop and maintain effective working relationships with trade unions' along with ‘Ability to further develop, guide and implement a comprehensive Engineering Effectiveness programme which will focus on the development of staff and processes and eliminate inefficiency.
- Good intellect with an analytical insight and financial literacy to quickly assess viability of business opportunities
- Extensive knowledge of all relevant legislations: including health, safety and environment, with a good awareness of and practical experience of lean tools and techniques
- Demonstrable record of achievements showing delivery of major change or sustained improvement in an operational environment
- Able to work in a complex operating environment and be able to guide and influence the wider business ensuring there is buy-in to a shared operational and customer vision to deliver transformational change, whilst staying within a divisional governance framework
- Results-driven and strategically focussed, with a strong ability to get into the detail when necessary
- Understand risk management, be willing to push boundaries and take calculated risks to deliver long term strategic goals
- Degree educated or equivalent in engineering/appropriate professional engineering qualification, with post qualification experience at a senior engineering level'.
We want the best senior managers to join our team. So, we'll look after you with great training, benefits and opportunities to grow your career. Looking for a career packed full of variety? Excited by the opportunity? Then start a new journey and apply. The more varied our workforce, the broader the expertise we have in our team. The broader our expertise, the greater our chances of innovation and success. That's why we're committed to equality of opportunity, diversity and inclusion at every level.
One of the UK's largest bus operators, our team of 17,000 Journey Makers helps 1.6 million customers every single day to get to where they want to go.
Engineering is an integral part of our business focusing on efficiency, excellence, safety and reliability. We're constantly looking for ways to improve our processes, techniques and ways of engineering our very diverse fleet.
Interested? Click on apply and complete an application form!