As a global leader in the sale of research antibodies, Abcam is committed to serving life science researchers to achieve their mission, faster. We continue to identify the biological pathways of greatest interest to our consumers and continuously strive to provide products of the highest quality with increased specificity, reproducibility and sensitivity. At the same time, through investment and acquisition, we are expanding into new markets, identifying new technologies and applications while moving into new geographic regions, thereby driving sustainable growth.
Abcam was founded in 1998 and has been listed on AIM since 2005. Market capitalisation is around £3bn and revenues for the last financial year ended 30 June 2020 were £260m.
The business continues to be strongly cash generative, and is putting that cash to work in both capital projects, to ensure the future scalability of the business, as well as investing further in the continued development of products and services. Strategic goals include expansion in growth markets and investing in operating capabilities to grow the business to £450 - £500m by 2023/24.
- Prepare the EMEA corporate tax returns and relevant claims and elections, ensuring timely submission within statutory deadlines.
- Prepare the UK tax provision calculation for interim and year end reporting purposes ensuring that the Group Tax Manager is aware of any significant issues.
- Review the transaction level data in relevant tax sensitive General Ledger codes for corporation tax purposes for the UK/EMEA entities.
- Prepare the annual UK tax documentation e.g. R&D claim, CFC analysis, interest analysis.
- Prepare annual transfer pricing reports for review by the Group Tax Manager using the Thomson Reuters software.
- Prepare the quarterly instalment payment calculations in the UK including forecasting of cash tax payments.
- Ensure all global tax process notes are up-to-date, getting local input as required.
- Calculate and manage the global quarterly transfer pricing adjustments.
- Work with external tax advisers where relevant ensuring spend is first approved by the Group Tax Manager.
- Manage the global compliance deadlines, relying on local representatives where possible but in sourcing as much as possible into the UK tax team.
- Ad-hoc opportunities to support project work e.g. acquisitions, VAT, Customs, payroll taxes, tax legislation changes, debt capacity, etc.
Summary of job requirements
- Qualified accountant (ACA).
- Significant tax experience in practise or industry (International or UK).
- Strong analytical and proven problem-solving skills.
- Mature, proactive, resourceful and hands-on with the ability to take initiative but common sense not to make unilateral decisions on significant matters.
- Independent worker who is able to work well with minimal supervision but also works well in cross functional teams.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with ability to work well under pressure.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written.
- Proficient and comfortable with IT – excellent Excel skills.
- Tax qualification (CTA or equivalent).
- Indirect tax experience.
- Industry experience.
- Knowledge of International taxation laws and regulations is advantageous.
- Previous experience of accounting under IFRS.
- ERP implementation experience or previous use of Oracle.
- Experience with using Thomson Reuters software e.g ONESOURCE.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.