|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO&I) is the team behind the cloud. CO&I is responsible for delivering Microsoft web portals, Live and Online Services around the world including infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide.
Within CO&I, the Datacenter Engineering (DCE) team is responsible for delivering core datacenter infrastructure for Microsoft’s cloud business. The MS portfolio consists of complex, multi-disciplinary, large scale, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects. We are looking for a passionate, high energy individual to help build the cloud datacenters that power the world’s largest online services.
Specific Job Tasks:
Reporting directly to the Datacenter Engineering Programme Design Manager, the Design Manager will be assigned to manage the engineering scope, schedule, and budget for greenfield, brownfield and retrofit engineering / design projects as assigned across the EMEA region. This position will manage internal and external resources for the delivery of land technical due diligence, construction permitting, engineering/design of the building shell/core, power, cooling, telecom and controls infrastructure to align with Microsoft IT capacity roadmap for builds.
- This role will provide design management, technical direction, decision-making and overall leadership for our datacenter architectural / engineering designs.
- The candidate will oversee the delivery of multiple, concurrent, complete Datacenter design solutions aligned with the scopes, schedules, and budgets of the projects, and manage the design deliverables of MS consultants (architects, engineers, and designers).
- The candidate will engage with key stakeholder groups within Microsoft as well as outside vendors who specialize in datacenter architecture and engineering.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent experience in related engineering, architecture, construction, or operations field
- Excellent communication, organization, and leadership skills
- High level of proficiency in commercial and industrial architecture and engineering with a primary focus on datacenter design
- Able to work with other technical and non-technical groups in a fast- paced environment and do so with an even temperament
- Be a person of integrity, be methodical, detail-oriented with a strong work ethic
- Able to lead teams of engineers in advanced engineering and operational processes and procedures as they relate to large datacenter environments
- Contract negotiation skills with solid understanding of value-added ideas without compromising safety and quality of deliverables
- Ability to get things done in fast-paced environment; not easily discouraged; forward looking with open mindset
- Knowledge of local building codes, regulations, and jurisdictional standards.
- Ability to prepare and present using MS office packages
- Able to travel domestically and internationally
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in delivering engineering / construction infrastructure projects
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as lead engineer, lead architect, design manager or project manager
- Large scale project experience (100MM per project) delivering Design Build, and Design Bid Build type projects
- Experience in running technical site due diligence programmes
- Demonstrate a good track record in data centre / mission critical section
Preferred, not required:
- Chartered / Professional Engineer or Registered Architect
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.