|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Operations Manager to join Ocado at our Customer Fulfilment Centre ‘CFC4’ based in Erith, Kent. This site is Ocado’s biggest yet and at around 563,000 square feet, houses the very latest, most advance versions of Ocado’s automated distribution technology and our Ocado Smart Platform ‘OSP’. At full capacity we will be fulfilling over 200,000 customer orders a week, which requires a 24/7 operation and a dedicated team of colleagues and managers who lead by example.
Reporting to the General Manager, the main focus of the Senior Operations Manager is to lead and inspire large teams of people across multiple shifts and processes. Providing visible leadership, you will focus on employee engagement to drive continuous improvement across all aspects of the site’s performance; through a team of Operations Managers.
Role and Responsibilities:
As a Senior Operations Manager within Ocado, you will be responsible for the Inbound, Operations Support and Outbound functions which will involve:
- Improving the consistency and level of operational execution
- Ensuring all agreed operational objectives, targets & KPI’s are met
- Driving continuous improvement across our 5 pillars - Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost and People
- Communicating effectively to ensure the team understands the strategic direction of the site and the role they play in the delivery
- Playing a key part in the growth and development of the site to meet the ever increasing demands from our customers
You will be responsible for a large budget within your span of control, you will:
- Achieve and where possible exceed the budgeted productivity targets for the operation
- Work with the Resource Planning team to ensure an effective operational plan is maintained and executed
- Drive cost saving initiatives through your team of Operations Managers
You will provide excellent leadership to your team, and will:
- Be a role model in living our values - promoting an environment where respect, trust and integrity is maintained at all times
- Be highly visible - actively engaging and interacting with the operational teams at all levels
- Embrace change and always look for new and better ways of doing things
- Maintain a positive approach, demonstrating exceptional levels of resilience, energy and drive
- Set high standards of performance and behaviour and be demanding of yourself and others to achieve
- Instil a no-blame approach, encouraging mistakes to be highlighted and learned from
- Develop a culture of improvement and engagement at all levels within the Fulfilment Centre
- Deputise for the General Manager as and when required
You may also be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
To be considered for this role you will need:
- Strong technical skills and be very comfortable with data and technology
- Extensive operational and people management experience and a proven record in large-scale, highly automated sites
- An ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the business
- To be flexible, personally effective and possess the stamina required to meet the demands of the role
- The ability to handle and manage changing priorities using good judgement in stressful situations
- Practical knowledge and experience of continuous improvement, ideally using lean techniques
What else do you need to know?
You will also be expected to:
- Undertake tiered management/personal shopper tasks if the need arises
- Stand/walk for extended periods
- Lift objects weighing up to 30kg (periodically) from the floor to shoulder height
- Wear protective equipment to ensure requisite standards of health and safety are maintained
- Train to use Mechanical Handling Equipment
- Work in environments ranging in temperature from 30℃ to -30℃
Our Managers live the value “We’re In It Together” – so a hands on approach is a must, as well as flexibility to working alternative shifts when required. In return for your hard work and dedication, you will have the opportunity to further develop your career either into more senior positions within the warehouse or sideways into other departments.
This role will require you to work 40 hours per week, working any 5 from 7 days. Flexibility at times may also be required in order to meet the needs of the business.
We are currently offering a very competitive salary for this role which is dependent on previous experience. In addition to this, you will also receive up to a 15% of salary performance related bonus, which will be based upon various operational and people KPI’s.
What will I get in return?
- Competitive salary and benefits including Free Shares and Life Assurance
- 15% discount off your Ocado shopping
- Onsite subsidised café and company shop offering discounts of up to 70% on groceries from leading brands and major retailers
- Private Healthcare
- National discounts including Vodafone, Merlin Attractions, Enterprise Car Hire and many more
- Enhanced Pension scheme - matching up to 7% of your contributions
- Employee Assistance Programme
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and it takes its obligations under the Equality Act 2010 and Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 very seriously. We treat all our employees fairly and equally, regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, pregnancy and maternity, trade union membership or offending background, or the fact that they are a part-time worker or a fixed-term employee. Our employees and applicants for employment shall not be disadvantaged by any policies or conditions of service which cannot be justified as necessary for operational purposes.