|Job Type:||Full Time|
Who we are
FirstGroup plc is a leading provider of transport services in the UK and North America. During the last year around 2 billion passengers relied on us to get to work, to school or college, to visit family and friends and much more. Each day every one of our 100,000 employees works hard to deliver vitally important services for our customers.
FirstGroup plc welcomes applications from a diverse range of candidates regardless of background, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. We aspire to be a diverse and inclusive organisation because we believe that diversity brings benefits for our customers, communities and our people. Valuing our differences and drawing on our collective knowledge and experience helps us develop new services, open up new markets and broaden our customer base.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Rolling Stock Engineer to join our team. Reporting to the Director of Engineering Best Practice, you will provide your rolling stock expertise, both technical and asset management, to First Rail Holdings projects. Typical projects include bidding for new business opportunities, rolling stock procurement and project mobilisation as well as business improvement initiatives as part of First Group's engineering best practice programme. You will be required to work within cross-functional teams, leading where appropriate. You will build a strong network of contacts throughout First Rail Holdings operating companies and actively seek out opportunities.
Key responsibilities of the role will also include, but are not limited to:
- Deliver project tasks through a focus on timelines, quality and team behaviours
- Actively seek out assignments to achieve your, and the teams, utilisation targets
- Explore opportunities and develop them into projects, where appropriate, to meet the team's revenue target.
- Continuously seek to develop your expertise and experience to meet the changing needs of First Rail Holdings
The successful applicant will be a chartered engineer with experience in asset management and rolling stock systems. Ideally, you will have experience of rolling stock procurement. You will have a thorough understanding of how a train operating company functions, and awareness of the relationships and roles of key industry stakeholders. You will be a natural problem solver and keen network builder, with strong report writing and presentation skills - the ability to communicate complex concepts effectively with a wide range of audiences is vital.
What you'll get in return
- Minimum of 10% contribution to your Pension (5% employer and 5% employee)
- 25 days Holiday plus National Bank Holidays
- Travel Offers for Bus and Rail*
- Free Bus Travel on your local FirstGroup Operated Network
- Payroll Giving – donate directly from your pay to a Charity of your Choice
- Shopping Discounts including discounts and cashback on electrical goods, your weekly shop, holidays, cinema trips, car insurance, upgrading your mobile and lots more
- All employee Share Schemes*
- Save as You Earn - gives you the opportunity to save a regular amount each month for three years. At the end of the savings period, you can use your savings to buy shares at a discounted price set at the start of the Scheme, or take your savings as cash.
- Buy as You Earn - allows you to buy shares each month, with 2 free ‘matching' shares for each 3 shares you buy. You can vary the amount you save, or stop it at any time. You need to participate in the scheme for at least 3 years in order to receive the matching shares.
- Employee Assistance Helpline – free, confidential employee support service provided by an independent provider
*after 6 months of employment