|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are seeking someone who is able to generate respect and authority based on their sound technical knowledge supported by considerable experience. You will contribute to the growth of our people, our environment business and our wider ecology practice. You will be adept at finding ways to add value for our customers, engage with technologies and maintain quality. Most importantly you will be helping us to build a lasting and sustainable environmental business.
You will be part of a multidisciplinary environmental team, working closely with other disciplines to ensure ecological objectives for projects are delivered successfully, within budget and to programme. You will have the opportunity to develop and grow the team.
This opportunity is not a one-way street as we will give you an exciting space in which to develop. You will be visible within our business, but also across the sector, raising our profile and yours through internal and external events. Your reputation will grow giving you the opportunity to influence your peers.
We are serious about ecology; this opportunity primarily focuses on growing our practice capability in the UK and international sectors; realising the potential of our people and thereby contributing to our wider environment team's targets and growth opportunities.
Given the ongoing pandemic situation, the role will at first include a combination of site and home-based work. Office-based work can be undertaken if necessary, although our office capacity is limited currently, as a means of ensuring social distancing. A return to office life is anticipated, although we are committed to allowing total flexibility to individuals to balance this with home working in the future.
The Mott MacDonald ecology practice is an exciting place to be - with over 100 full time ecologists and an excellent forward order book, we are building a practice that can last. The environmental demands in the power, rail, highways, aviation, buildings and water sectors in the UK and beyond need environmental specialists who can think laterally. We are passionate about providing our clients with sustainable solutions by constantly looking at challenges from a fresh angle. For us to continue maintaining our collaborative client relationships and further grow our environmental capabilities, we are on the hunt for like-minded, forward-thinking individuals to add to our growing UK teams. As a result of this, we are recruiting a Principal Ecologists to lead our team in Leeds.
Regional Team Leader is responsible for the day to day management of the team and is required to:
- Make sure sufficient staff with the right skills are available
- Manage day to day assignment of work to staff
- Providing local duty of care support to staff
- Manage technical quality of outputs and supporting/leading project delivery
- Enthuse and motivate team members in relation to the specialist skills offered by the team
- Identify regional business development opportunities, with engage with clients co-ordinated through the Account Leaders.
We are looking for a highly competent ecologist with strong UK experience (and international experience if possible) that has experience leading on ecological inputs into large-scale projects, including Biodiversity Net Gain. You will also have experience in the UK ecological consultancy market, with a strong external-facing, client-orientated approach.
As well as the above we would like you to have the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- A degree in Ecology or directly related subject (minimum of 2.1 classification). A postgraduate qualification is desirable.
- Chartered Environmentalist or Ecologist.
- Excellent protected species knowledge and experience; ideally a holder of a protected species licence (more licences would be an advantage, as would Natural England mitigation licences for at least one species within the last five years).
- Excellent understanding of UK and international nature conservation legislation and development of mitigation strategies for protected species and habitats.
- Experience in preparation and writing ecological sections of EIAs, ensuring that legislative guidelines are met.
- Experience in undertaking Habitat Regulation Assessments.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Experience within the public sector would be an advantage.
- Proven track record in winning work.
- Experience of people management and willingness to mentor junior staff.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, take the initiative, make robust, defensible decisions and work to tight deadlines to meet client needs.
- Willingness to travel throughout the UK and potentially overseas.
- Full UK driving licence.
We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace.