|Job Type:||Full Time|
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn't have, games that are uniquely Rare! Working here offers opportunities unlike anywhere else. You'll be providing players with unforgettable shared experiences in games loved by millions worldwide. Our pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, launched in 2018, is still going strong – and alongside that we're busy creating our next magical world, Everwild, announced in 2019 to a global audience.
We strive to make Rare an amazing place to work, embracing a culture of respect and building a supportive environment for our developers. Our custom-built Twycross studio is situated in the beautiful English countryside, surrounded by woodland and wildlife, with plenty of room for us to grow. Studio benefits are catered to making life easier for staff, including flexible working, a bonus scheme, an industry-leading pension package, private healthcare, mental health initiatives and free events for employees and their families.
By joining Rare, you'll be joining one of the finest studios in the industry with support from the wider Xbox Game Studios network. We're always on the lookout for exceptional people who can bring their expertise and unique thinking to help make our team even stronger!
As a VFX artist you will help create real-time particle effects such as magic, fire, explosions and environment effects for our next big game. Real-time particle effect creation is composed of several areas: particle creation, shader creation, particle placement, texture simulation, texture compositing and performance optimizations. Most VFX artists will work in all areas to some degree but there is also room for specializing. This is a truly exciting time at Rare and we are looking forward to finding more passionate VFX artists with a healthy mix of art and technology!
- Responsible for creating in game particle effects.
- Responsible for placing effects in the world.
- Work collaboratively with the Art/Design/Engineering disciplines to support and resolve artistic challenges.
- Develop a deep understanding of the Art direction and create effects to support the vision.
- Create effects to realistic budgets and take ownership of the memory and performance costs of your effects.
Required Experience & Qualifications
- Experience of creating real-time particle effects in game engines like Unreal or Unity.
- Experience of using industry standard content creation software (Maya, 3ds Max, Photoshop or equivalents)
- Experience with Houdini, EmberGen, After Effects or similar is a bonus
- Experience with shaders is a bonus
- Self- motivated and passionate about the end result.
- Able to take constructive feedback to improve work.
- Good eye for quality control and detail.
- Proactive and organized.
- Able to respond quickly and efficiently to difficult creative changes.
- Experienced in dealing with the idiosyncrasies of team project work.
- Good documentation and communication skills.
- A Passion for games and to create something special!