|Job Type:||Full Time|
Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
A little about our team…
Our Grid stream has one of the most exciting and challenging products across our portfolio. Imagine the challenges of developing an ultra high throughput automated system that is the size of 4 football pitches. Imagine the challenges of tolerance, scale, static and dynamic loads, manufacturing and rapid deployment for systems of this scale. Think of the challenges of developing a system with all of these requirements that must be “fit and forget” over a 20 year period of 24/7 use. Imagine our latest challenge to achieve all of this within a system that must remain safe and operational after an earthquake.
All of these challenges require an experienced Product Manager to help us revolutionise the hardware space by embedding ‘product craft’ into a growing, tactical team.
How will I spend my days
You will be part of the Retrieval Robotics Grid product area, partnering with the engineering teams and working with relevant stream stakeholders to define, realise and deliver cutting edge grid products for our clients. You won’t need to know everything about hardware, we have exceptional engineers on hand to help you learn and develop in our technologies.
The development of our Grid products is complex and has a lot more to it than the simple assembly of vertical and horizontal beams would have you believe. As our Product Manager you will have the aptitude to be able to understand the systems, be able to prioritise development and work closely with users, engineers and delivery leads to decide product direction. You must be comfortable allowing the development teams to come up with the solutions whilst being their knowledge base and proxy for the business and user.
How you will spend your days
- You will be the go to person for knowledge about Grid products
- Build relationships with a variety of stakeholders across the business to discover and deliver maximum business value
- Be an evangelist for your product strategy to align and inspire
- Drive your team’s focus on delivering value, balancing multiple streams of requirements and schedules so that they can concentrate on what they do best: delivering great products!
- Product backlog management, including defining user stories and prioritisation
- Managing your product releases across our international sites
- Share your deep understanding of our various systems and end users with your team
- Gather user and stakeholder feedback to continuously refine the product roadmap
- Constantly be monitoring progress and strategic landscape, adopting a continuous improvement mindset to capitalise on opportunities for your product
We’d like to hear from you if you have the following:
- Previous experience in a Product Management role, with deep knowledge of the craft
- Proven ability to plan, manage, track and deliver on commitments
- Defining product roadmaps and building collaboratively with design and engineering peers
- Ability to work in a team effectively and work autonomously
- An appreciation for industrial automation development and design
- An analytical mind set
Bonus points if you also have…
- Domain experience with mechanical/structural or automated products
- Experience of working in an ‘agile’ environment
- Ability to estimate the value of features or changes, performing cost-benefit analysis and constructing business cases
- Experience delivering or managing turnkey projects
- Previous experience launching hardware products internationally
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment, we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.