|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits the Bot Hardware Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Bots. Our Electrical Engineering team is looking for a passionate Electronics Engineer who will be responsible for helping us to design new electronics for BOTs that support our mission and organisational goals.
What would I be doing?
As our Electronics Engineer, you will be collaborating closely with your Team Lead and Product Manager to:
- Keep system quality high
- Foster collaboration within the team and with engineers from other teams
You will be dedicated in learning and understanding engineering principles such as:
- Continuous improvement
- Fail fast philosophy
- Design for manufacturing
- Design for operation
- Rapid Prototyping
You will focus your time around:
- Designing electronics for Bots and supporting them in production.
- Designing circuit boards with embedded processors, communications interfaces, and sensors.
- Identifying new ideas to improve our products, and producing reference designs to prove and implement these concepts.
- Designing for test; including design of external test boxes and systems for software verification.
- Helping develop a rapid and flexible development process.
- Performing simple PCB layout tasks and working with external layout engineers where necessary.
- Preparing for manufacture (Bill of Materials, PCB data) and working with external suppliers.
We are looking for people with
- A passion for electronics design and cutting edge technologies
- The ability to design electronic schematics and layout simple PCBs
- Experience of schematic capture and PCB layout using a commercial CAD package (Altium preferred but not essential).
- Confidence in writing simple code for embedded processors
- Strong collaboration in a team with engineers from other disciplines (e.g. Software, Mechanical, Reliability)
- Rework and assembly of PCB assemblies, simple cabling.
- Understanding of digital and analogue components, including Processors, Communication buses (e.g. CAN, Ethernet), and Sensors.
Bonus points if you also have
- Altium Experience
- Experience using Git
- Experience STM32 Family
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.