|Job Type:||Full Time|
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
A bit about us...
If you’re looking to work in a fun and collaborative culture, solving engineering challenges and creating opportunities for students to learn coding, whilst having a real impact in STEM education, we would love to talk to you!
We believe in building trust and autonomy to enable everyone to do their best possible work. Our goal is to provide a creative environment that enables you to continuously grow, experiment, ask questions and not be afraid to fail.
Code for Life is an opportunity for Ocado Technology to give back to the community by creating free resources and educational games to help teachers inspire the next generation of computer scientists. We are doing really well so far, but you could help us reach even higher. The non-profit initiative, which now boasts over 200,000 users, launched in conjunction with the introduction of the new UK National Computing Curriculum.
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented Senior Developer to join our small, friendly team and support the Code For Life mission.
What will you do?
Based from home at first, and then in Welwyn Garden City, you will be working with the team on our educational games; Rapid Router (https://github.com/ocadotechnology/rapid-router) and Kurono (https://github.com/ocadotechnology/aimmo). You will also help maintain the codeforlife.education website (https://github.com/ocadotechnology/codeforlife-portal), which gives general information about the initiative, access to our games and teaching resources, and is where our users can access scoreboards and much more. We are hosted on the Google Cloud Platform using technologies including; Django, Docker and MySQL.
We are passionate about coding and are looking for someone who shares that passion with an interest in our users too. Have a look around our repositories and see if you would like to work with us!
As a Senior Software Engineer you will...
- Enjoy working collaboratively with our UX designer and full-stack developers to maintain and improve our existing products
- Support and improve our CI/CD deployment pipeline
- Provide technical mentorship and guidance to more junior members
- Support the information security aspects of the project when needed
- Encourage and maintain good standards and practices in the team and beyond, sharing your knowledge and experience.
We'd like to hear from you if you have...
- Worked as a developer on medium/large scale projects before
- Experience with Python
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with SQL
- Strong collaboration skills that will allow you to work effectively alongside a cross-functional team, inspiring others to do the same
- A solid understanding of testing, continuous integration and deployment
- Experience working in an agile environment.
And with at least one of the following:
- Good working knowledge of Django
- Good working knowledge of Kubernetes
- Familiarity with Google Cloud products (e.g. Cloud Console, AppEngine, Google Kubernetes Engine)
Extra bonus points if you also have…
- Ability to understand the audience and channels you are developing for
- A real enthusiasm for STEM education
- Working knowledge of analytic and diagnostic tools, which allow analysis of Code for Life’s products.
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we've ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), and of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts.
We also have regular teams socials, sports clubs such as squash, running and table tennis, not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.