|Job Type:||Full Time|
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouses that we design in-house, our world-class talent constantly moves the goal posts of what is possible to achieve through sustained technological disruption.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.
But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people say about working for us.
What would I be doing?
- Plan, design, develop, test and support bespoke in-house software developed in IntelliJ/Eclipse/NetBeans
- Active “hands-on” development role; work alongside existing team members to continuously improve, re-factor, peer review code as and when needed - and is prepared to re-architect, re-design and/or propose better solutions
- Takes ownership of his/her work and sees it through to completion.
- Familiar with either Kanban or Scrum - agile ways of working and collaborating effectively across team and wider technology team
- Understands and appreciates that “we build it, we own it, we maintain it…” and will therefore join out-of-hours paid support rota
What does the team do
In Geospatial Systems, we provide the Geospatial intelligence underpinning the Ocado Smart Platform. From geocoding our customers’ locations and calculating the fastest way to navigate to them, to managing the geography of our clients’ delivery, retail, and e-commerce operations. Our cloud-based solution gives our retailer partners the tools they need to provide a world-class service to their customers, backed by our leading Contraction Hierarchies algorithm implementation, address lookup and management, geocoding, and geography management systems.We are searching for Software Engineers who are passionate about technology and its application to help solve complex business problems. To be successful in our team you will need to be curious, willing to experiment with new processes and practices to improve team throughput.
What we look for
- Java 8, Spring, Maven
- Experienced in Object Oriented Programming (OOP)
- API Development
- Automated Testing, Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery pipelines (CI/CD)
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
- AWS, Elastic Beanstalk, DynamoDB, SQS, SNS, S3 RDS,
- Microservices, REST APIs
- GitLab CI, Python, Bash, SQL
- Development Practices and Architectural direction
- Clean Code, SOLID principles
- Test Driven Development (TDD) & Behaviour Driven Development (BDD)
- Pair Programming, Agile (Kanban or Scrum)
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on our your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts across Ocado.com and Fetch.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis, not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.