|Job Type:||Full Time|
At the forefront of the action in CO+I is Datacenter Engineering (DCE). The BAS/EPMS team within DCE is responsible for establishing instrumentation infrastructure requirements and standards, delivering BAS design documents, EPMS documents and BAS implementation. This team develops and delivers efficiency and optimization programs, supporting 24x7x365 mission-critical CE instrumentation infrastructure within Microsoft’s global datacenters. DCE is seeking a Principal Controls Engineer to deliver core BAS and EPMS engineering expertise to our A/E’s and internal stakeholders enabling Microsoft to design and build best-in-class cloud infrastructure worldwide
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
- The Datacenter Engineering Controls Engineer will be responsible for leading and directing consultants in the design and coordination of the mechanical systems, associated controls, electrical systems and monitoring, and overall network topology.
- As the Subject Matter Expert (SME), this individual provides key input to other organizations and stakeholders and is responsible for leading controls workgroups with representatives from AE firms and other key stakeholders within Microsoft.
- This position requires a detailed understanding of datacenter controls and operational experience.
- Responsibilities include specification and drawing development detailing the control diagrams, sequence of operation for the mechanical controls systems, electrical monitoring systems, overall network topology and communication protocols.
- The role requires some travel to sites for “Factory Witness Testing”, consultant/vendor interaction in the design process, as well as for final commissioning of the installed systems.
- Duties include the technical review of BAS and EPMS design documents from lease providers to ensure Microsoft requirements are met.
Knowledge, experience and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in related engineering field.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in mechanical controls engineering, electrical controls engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience in technical discipline specific to HVAC, building automation and EPMS.
- In-depth knowledge of Electrical Power Monitoring Systems (EPMS), Branch Circuit Monitoring Systems (BCMS), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), Building Automation Systems (BAS), and Building Management Systems (BMS).
- In-depth knowledge of open BAS protocols and communications - BACnet, LON, MODBUS, Ethernet, Web-Services, html, and others.
- Strong experience with the operation and maintenance of building cooling and related mechanical systems (HVAC, Chilled Water, DX Refrigerant, Evaporative, and related controls systems).
- In-depth knowledge of server platforms, virtualization theories and concepts, database design and engineering, data management and disaster recovery / planning / risk assessment.
- Knowledge of construction techniques and terminology including the ability to read and interpret blueprints, construction drawings and documents is essential.
- Abilityto lead teams of engineers in advanced engineering and operational processes and procedures as they relate to large datacenter environments.
- Must possess strong leadership competencies and willingness to collaborate and work cross- functionally to maximize business results and positive customer experiences.
- Experience managing both internal and external vendors, with a proven ability to manage and monitor progress to ensure objectives are achieved for outsourced project efforts.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills at varying levels of business up to and including business executives.
- Ability to manage, prioritize and successfully execute multiple concurrent mission-critical infrastructure projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in related engineering field
- Professional Engineer or Registered Engineer
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.