|Job Type:||Full Time|
At GoCardless, we’re passionate about payments. Our vision is to provide businesses with the best way to collect recurring payments, wherever they and their customers are in the world.
Today, we help over 55,000 businesses take the pain out of getting paid, so they can focus on what they do best. And through our partnerships with over 200 software providers such as Xero, Zuora, Salesforce and Quickbooks, more and more businesses are benefiting from our unique global payments platform every day. We process $15bn of payments a year across more than 30 countries, powering recurring payments for businesses worldwide, from multinational corporations to small businesses.
We’re headquartered in the UK, and backed by some of the world’s leading investors including Google Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Balderton Capital, Accel Partners and Notion Capital. Over 400 employees worldwide have decided to develop their careers with us. We’ve built a friendly, collaborative culture where we hire and develop people who share our desire to do work we can be proud of. We value learning and feedback, and support colleagues to develop in their role and more broadly in their career.
Engineering at GoCardless
The technical challenges of building GoCardless span from simplifying building banking schemes to optimising the time to render the dashboard. We’re looking for a Principal Engineer to provide technical leadership for multiple teams.
You will enjoy being a software engineer at GoCardless if:
- You’re looking to champion a great engineering culture within GC and in the wider engineering community;
- You enjoy collaborating and learning from people from various backgrounds and experiences;
- You want to feel proud of the work you’re doing and its impact on real customers.
Our engineers contribute to the engineering culture within and outside of GoCardless: they contribute to Open Source Software projects (see our Github), and share learnings in post-mortems, conferences and on our blog.
Our technologies: We endeavour to build simple, reliable systems and we believe in using the best technologies for each task. We use a host of different technologies which includes (but is not limited to); Ruby on Rails, Golang, Python, React, PostgreSQL, BigQuery, and Google Cloud Storage, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch, Prometheus, Google Cloud (GCP).
You’re not expected to have expertise in all these technologies. Members of our team have picked up the tools once they’ve started working with the team. If you’re unsure, please apply.
- You will provide engineering leadership for multiple teams, and you will be a driving force behind key technology decisions that affect the entire organisation.
- You will lead the architecture, design and implementation of large and very complex systems, being hands on as required. Your designs and architectures are high quality in terms of robustness, stability, scalability, simplicity and cost-effectiveness.
- You will mentor others and help them progress from a career perspective.
- You will be frequently consulted as an expert in hard technical challenges involving architecture, scalability, system-wide performance and engineering best practice
- You will continuously bring business context to key engineering decisions and help make the right trade-offs between the business requirements and the technical design considerations.
Who we're looking for:
- You're passionate about technology.
- You have experience building products for the web, and have an awareness of technologies across the stack.
- You care deeply about building reliable, well-tested systems.
- You enjoy solving problems and automating responses for recurrent issues.
- You thrive in a culture of code review.
- You have experience leading projects and mentoring junior engineers
- You have played a key role in the design, implementation and deployment of several successful enterprise-level systems.
- You have had wide technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your knowledge and experience.
- You have played a key role in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of other team members.
Life at GoCardless
Diversity is hugely important to us and we welcome applications from those with disabilities and from under-represented backgrounds. Throughout our hiring and onboarding process we make any reasonable adjustments necessary to create a level playing field and continually look at how we can improve in this area. We also have active ‘employee resource groups’ (such a BEAM and Rainbow) that are supported and sponsored by members of our Exec team; they work to engage and inspire our employees on diversity & inclusion topics throughout the year.
We offer flexible working hours and remote working arrangements, enhanced parental leave and pension packages. You’ll also receive equity, because we believe having this ‘buy in’ is a vital part of building a successful business where everybody - regardless of their role - can make a valuable contribution.
The COVID-19 pandemic has seen everybody at GoCardless shift to remote working and this is something we’ll continue to do into 2021. We continually review this approach in conjunction with the changing restrictions in each of our locations; additionally we offer support to maintain wellbeing and comfort, including subsidised home office equipment, workstation assessments and a range of remote social activities you can dip in and out of whenever you fancy.