|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Telegraph is part way through a transformation to become a digital first, subscription first publishing business. A number of diverse and exciting projects have been identified to complete this transformation over the next three years, and achieve the company-wide goal to reach 1m subscribers by 2023.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Programmes and working closely with other members of the Telegraph Leadership Team, the Strategic Project Manager will play a key role in driving this transformation by delivering the projects in the plan.
The role will initially be aligned to the Subscriptions department and will be accountable for successful delivery of strategic projects within that business area.
For each strategic project:
- Own the overall project plan and manage delivery of tasks against that plan
- Assemble and coordinate the delivery team
- Provide a mix of leadership, coordination and hands-on support to ensure tasks are completed
- Liaise with other departments where necessary to get tasks done
- Understand the subject matter and be able to contribute to decision making
- Ensure buy-in from key stakeholders via clear, logical explanation & communications
- Resolve/mitigate issues & risks as they arise, escalating where necessary
- Report progress against agreed milestones & benefits
- Use project management skills, tools and techniques as appropriate for the specific project - The Telegraph has a successful track record of introducing change quickly so it is important not to introduce unnecessary bureaucracy into that process
In addition to managing specific projects this person should build confidence & reputation with their Telegraph colleagues such that they proactively consult and seek support for potential change projects at an early stage, enabling interdependencies and sequencing to be considered within wider business plans
Essential skills required for the role
- Track record of successfully delivering projects, not necessarily in a formal PM capacity
- Experience of working in a subscriptions or recurring revenue based digital business and an understanding of the sales/marketing landscape in these environments - the customer journey from awareness through acquisition, engagement and retention
- Natural curiosity regarding how things work and a desire to fix business problems
- Strong intellect, strategic thinking and analytical skills
- Ability to work in a complex, fast paced, rapidly evolving environment, and to adapt scope and deliverables based on feedback - actively invites, listens and acts upon the contribution of others
- Ability to build relationships, establish contacts and build alliances at all levels and to communicate persuasively, clearly and authoritatively, both verbally and in the written word
- You'll need to be well grounded, straightforward and forthright but with diplomatic skills and a willingness to collaborate in order to achieve results
- Optimistic yet pragmatic outlook, and be able to handle setbacks with good humour
- Organised and structured, but equally adaptable and not constrained by process
Additional useful skills
- Experience of working with the media sector and knowledge of the types of systems used
- A recognised process improvement and/or agile working qualification
Telegraph Media Group’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
- The chance to play a fundamental role in shaping the transformation agenda at The Telegraph
- Opportunity to learn and develop knowledge in a range of leading analytics tools.
- The Telegraph supports flexible working, per your line manager’s agreement.
- A range of excellent benefits (including on-site gym, massages, and more).