|Job Type:||Full Time|
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
We’re Ocado Technology. We architect and build the ground-breaking, game changing technology solutions that power Ocado, the world's largest online-only grocery retailer. We don’t do off-the-shelf. We don’t do easy. Because we’re writing, building and running all our own software systems, we’re constantly pushing the limits of what technology can do. And when we say ‘we’, we mean ‘you’. Join us and you’ll work across a phenomenal breadth of technology, with incredibly smart people, to create reliable, resilient, scalable and optimised systems.
And when we say ‘pushing the limits of what technology can do’ in the wireless team that means being at the forefront of wireless development. We may keep it quiet, but we have a number of systems that are the first of their kind and often the largest of their type.
We’re now looking for Site Reliability Engineers to join us and accelerate that development. You will be joining a multinational and dynamic Wireless team located in Hatfield (UK). Instead of us relying on product manufacturers, you’ll take responsibility for the ongoing performance of our systems and implementing improvements. This covers the full software stack, from server infrastructure running on Kubernetes down to C code at the lowest levels of our wirelessly connected mobile estate. We use extensive monitoring and alerting tools to track performance and alert to us urgent issues before they impact our customers.
In this challenging role you will work across a spectrum of proprietary vendor systems and Open Source platforms ever mindful of skilling up those around you and driving knowledge sharing. Continually develop your own skills and the skills of those around you by working closely with your colleagues. Influence direction based upon the support requirements of the Operations Center of the emerging technologies that will be the production environments of Ocado’s future.
What you'll do...
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of the system operation, right down to the lowest levels
- Take ownership of the software stack installed upon a fleet(s) of wirelessly connected devices
- Maintaining the existing codebase, fixing bugs and adding new features.
- Responsible for developing tooling and applications e.g Logging platform, CI/CD Pipeline.
- Provide last line support for multiple production environments, investigate problems, analyse logs and provide the best solutions.
- Setup data analysis pipeline to generate metrics, dashboard etc by using Google Big Query, Airwave, Google Cloud Function etc.
- Collaborate with stakeholders in the operation to provide clear guidance and training
- Share knowledge and up skill wider team
We'd love to talk to you if you have...
- Professional experience in writing C apps for POSIX operating systems
- Good understanding of Python programming.
- Good understanding of Linux O/S.
- Good understanding of TCP/IP and OSI models.
- Prior experience in a relevant role, e.g. C Programming Developer, SRE, DevOps, Systems Analyst, Data analyst.
Bonus points if you also have...
- Experience using SQL,Big Query etc Data processing tools.
- Git lab, CI/CD pipeline.
- Docker, K8s, AWS experience.
- Understanding of IEEE 802.11 and RF.
- Basic understanding of signal processing principles.
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with effective communication skills and a sense of drive.
- Team player, self-driven and able to manage multiple tasks against business priorities
Technologies We Use
- A Custom OFDMA IoT platform, RFID and Remote sensor system
- C, Python, Bash
- BigQuery, Airwave, DataStudio
- Docker, K8s, AWS
- Git CI/CD
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on our your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis, not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.