Assistant Company Secretary
Location: Flexible – currently remote working. Head Office is based in Horley. At present the team has a presence across Horley, Reading, Havant, Kent and Glasgow. Although some travel may be required.
Salary: Personal Contract (dependent on experience)
Position type: Full time / Part time
In SGN Legal Services we put people, relationships & culture at the heart of what we do.
We strive to always innovate and find solutions that deliver impactful outcomes.We also recognise the integral role we play in governing and protecting our stakeholders, communities and company.With this in mind, we promote compliance, ethics & governance and provide advice that enables informed decision-making to reduce risk and protect the organisation. We are passionate and energised about transformation to deliver continuous improvement.
Our vision is to be your legal service provider of choice by always delivering service excellence, providing the best experience to everyone who connects with us and thriving as a team.
WE NEED YOU
An excellent opportunity has become available to join our growing in-house legal team and Scotia Gas Networks Limited’s group of companies (SGN) at an exciting time in which you will help us build our shared future and transform the future of gas.As part of this, you will provide strategic and transactional support to the SGN ’s group by providing high-quality business led advice to enable SGN to lead the way in low carbon energy delivery by making gas green.
Our Legal Services team is headed up by Nicola Graham-Shand, Director of Legal Services and Group Company Secretary for SGN. Nicola reports into the Chief Executive Officer and is a member of the Executive Committee which puts her in a pivotal position to lead the team.
The team itself is split into the following divisions: Governance & Company Secretary, Risk, Audit & Compliance, Land Rights and Legal. Legal is spilt into Property & Networks, Commercial & Construction and Corporate Services and IT.
We’re on a journey to transform the future of gas. Keeping our customers safe and warm is what we do but beyond that, we want to make the world a better place, which is why we’re passionate about helping in our communities, reducing our carbon footprint and driving innovation in our industry.
At SGN, we strive to sustain our world through managing the network that distributes natural and green gas across Scotland, Southern England and Northern Ireland. We have an important responsibility to keep the gas flowing to 14 million people in homes and businesses. Your work directly impacts SGN’s commitments to keeping our customers’ homes and businesses safe.
SGN also has a rapidly growing unregulated business’ spanning across renewable energy, property development and disposal, smart metering and field force digital transformation.
You will work within a small company secretary team to provide a broad range of general company secretarial duties with regular exposure to senior stakeholders in the business, ownership of projects and participation in transactions. You will also provide direct support to the Head of Legal (Corporate Services & IT) in manging the portfolio of legal projects. The role calls for a confident and energetic self-starter with a good understanding of corporate governance and company law who is eager to learn and apply their knowledge. The role will offer a varied mix of work across the function which you will be required to cross flex on all activities to support as required.You will have opportunities for interaction with individuals at all levels of the business including the Executive & Board.
- Develop and maintain strong and positive relationships with key stakeholders and maintain a thorough knowledge of the business and regulatory
- Support / lead with Board and committee governance and management, including organising subsidiary board meetings.
- Production of minutes, matters arising, board reports and packs on time and with great attention to detail
- Lead regular Board and subcommittee planning and review meetings with assigned stakeholders.
- Support on the end-to-end annual subsidiary accounts process in collaboration with other company secretaries, cross-functional teams and external auditors; preparing and reviewing accounts, engagement letters, management representation letters and comfort letters.
- Provide company secretarial and project support on corporate transactions and intra-group restructurings, including group acquisitions, investments and disposals, bond issuances, EMTN programme updates, corporate simplification activities, equity injections, liquidations and inter-company dividends
- Prepare and supporting in the delivery of training and inductions to statutory and executive directors.
- Assist with legal team administration, project management and support.
Govern & Protect
- Continuously work with the Company Secretary team to avoid surprises.
- Advise the business on the application of the Group’s Delegation of Authority and signing policies and maintaining the powers of attorney register.
- Lead and manage on end to end corporate and contract authorisation / approval processes.
- Deliver company secretary services professional, ethical and quality standards within allocated time.
- Own and manage a portfolio of governance actions being worked upon by the business.
- Support the Legal Services transformation by proactively looking for areas of and provide value adding and insightful recommendations that address control and process opportunities and issues.
- Enhance the team’s core technical expertise by continuously developing in your area of expertise and expanding your knowledge and understanding in other areas across the function.
- Cross flex across the team and support in other non-specialise areas as necessary, including providing additional support to the legal function as required.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Relevant company secretary experience
- Part or ICSA or ACIS qualified with a good working knowledge of company law and governance requirements; or a recognised professional designation in Company Secretary
- A degree, in a relevant subject, including (but not limited to): accountancy, economics, business, finance, or legal; or
- Technologically proficient with Board Intelligence /Diligent/ Blueprint experience
- Solid understanding company law and governance requirements
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal and attention to detail
- Excellent organisation and facilitation skills;
- Resilience under pressure and flexible thinking and ability to adapt to change.
Not a perfect skills match? Tell us what you’re interested in – you might have a skill we didn’t realise we needed!
Culture & Values
The successful candidate will be someone that relates to and can buy into our legal team culture and values designed to guide decisions and actions
- Thriving: making thriving contagious by inspiring, including, motivating and looking out for each other
- Innovative: turning ideas into solutions that add value
- Trusted: being honest, open, and transparent so you regard us as a trusted adviser and colleague
- Dynamic: seeking out ways to do things better to deliver positive change
- Sustainable: minimising our carbon footprint in conjunction with providing long term legal solutions which are sustainable.
Fostering a diverse and inclusive culture and embracing differences is something we pride ourselves on. You will be empowered to be yourself and work with people from different backgrounds and points of view to achieve positive results. We also know that everyone has a life outside of work so we’re happy to discuss flexible working.
WHERE YOU'LL WORK / BENEFITS
This position offers a market rate salary with company benefits, including: 25 days holiday (with opportunities to extend under HolidayPlus) plus public holidays and bank holidays; private pension, retail & leisure discounts, Cycle2work scheme, gym & mobile discounts and more.
This is an excellent opportunity to develop your career in an innovative, business focussed and vibrant legal team at one of the UK’s leading energy providers.
Apply now to have a career defining experience with SGN and be part of a brilliant team.
We’re quick to deliver and we may not always wait until the job advert expires before reviewing applications. We recommend you submit your application as soon as possible so we can continue the conversation…