|Job Type:||Full Time|
GoCardless is on a mission to take the pain out of getting paid, so our customers can focus on what they do best. With the world shifting to a Subscription Economy, GoCardless is powering recurring payments across the globe via our world-first payments network. We’ve cut out the intermediaries by linking together direct debit schemes from around the world to create a simple way of pulling payments directly from customers’ bank accounts.
We process more than $15bn a year, for over 50,000 businesses in more than 30 countries, and we’re growing fast. Our API powers recurring payments for companies like Survey Monkey, Bulb and the Financial Times. It also enables partners including Xero, Quickbooks and Sage to help small businesses to save countless hours spent chasing customers for payments.
We’re looking for a Director of Engineering to lead our Infrastructure group who are currently running our production and corporate infrastructure.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced people manager who also possesses a mix of depth in Production Operations, Networking, Systems Engineering, Cloud Infrastructure and Systems Architecture. However we are also open to considering Engineering Directors with no experience in Infrastructure Engineering and come from a pure Software Engineering background.
You be leading a group that work on mission-critical infrastructures, tools and processes that enable our products to scale at a rapid pace. You will be hiring, developing and leading a very strong group of Software Development Engineers, Site Reliability Engineers and IT Engineers and helping them reach their highest potential. You will ensure that our infrastructure runs non-stop around the world to serve our increasingly global customer base.
In this role you will:
- develop great people
- maintain a supportive and engaging team culture
- insist on high standards of technical design and implementation and ensure your systems are operationally excellent
- implement and enhance the long term security and privacy engineering strategy
- focus on application and operations engineering, building capability in both disciplines
- enable a infrastructure engineering mind set in all of product development.
- plan and prioritise impactful technical investment initiatives
You will also be a key contributor to:
- improve hiring and recruitment processes
- develop product objectives
- invest in GoCardless’ overall technical architecture
- ensure the scalability of our systems and working practices
What we have to offer:
Among other things:
- Focus on your growth and development: regular discussions with your manager (CTO) about your personal goals, feedback, coaching, learning and conference budget.
- A clear career progression: opportunities for growth and leadership aligned to our competencies framework.
- Ownership and autonomy: we give people problems to solve rather than specifications to implement, end to end ownership (deciding on the solution, implementing it, releasing it, maintaining it)
- Good work-life balance
What we're looking for
Given the versatile nature of the role, we’re looking for someone who learns fast, enjoys leading and collaborating with others, and is a pragmatic decision-maker.
- A comprehensive knowledge of web application security and network security and infrastructure operations.
- You are passionate about building software development teams.
- You have experience in hiring and developing great software engineers or site reliability engineers.
- You are a communicative person that values building strong relationships with colleagues and stakeholders and have the ability to explain complex topics in simple terms.
- Strong customer focus, ownership, urgency and drive.
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to lead teams.
- Experience managing and optimising large infrastructure budgets (not essential)
- Experience in software development engineering (must have a substantial track record of building/engineering large applications, and must demonstrate strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals – e.g. data structures, algorithm design and problem solving).
- Experience in a leading role running a large production infrastructure supporting a substantial customer base (not essential)
- Experience line managing large teams of software/systems engineers including managing managers
Our team comes from a range of backgrounds, and we welcome diversity. Even if your experience doesn’t tick all of the boxes, please apply - we’d love to hear from you.