|Job Type:||Full Time|
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn't have, games that are uniquely Rare! Working here offers opportunities unlike anywhere else. You'll be providing players with unforgettable shared experiences in games loved by millions worldwide. Our pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, launched in 2018, is still going strong – and alongside that we're busy creating our next magical world, Everwild, announced in 2019 to a global audience.
We strive to make Rare an amazing place to work, embracing a culture of respect and building a supportive environment for our developers. Our custom-built Twycross studio is situated in the beautiful English countryside, surrounded by woodland and wildlife, with plenty of room for us to grow. Studio benefits are catered to making life easier for staff, including flexible working, a bonus scheme, an industry-leading pension package, private healthcare, mental health initiatives and free events for employees and their families.
By joining Rare, you'll be joining one of the finest studios in the industry with support from the wider Xbox Game Studios network. We're always on the lookout for exceptional people who can bring their expertise and unique thinking to help make our team even stronger!
Following on from the success of Sea of Thieves, here at Rare we are busy building a rich and fantastic world for our next title, Everwild.
We are currently searching for an enthusiastic AI programmer to help us bring the varied creatures of Everwild to life!
In this role, you will be working directly on our Creatures team within the Everwild game team. You will be working closely with many different disciplines to prototype, implement, and iterate on a wide range of fantastic player experiences. In this specific role, you will be part of our Creature team, working with our custom AI technology to develop the varied and wonderful creatures of Everwild.
You will be working with our custom AI tech stack within Unreal Engine 4 in our C++ codebase. You will be writing high quality code, being mindful of re-usability, extensibility, and our performance culture here at Rare.
- Take a key role in exploring and developing player experiences, working on all aspects of gameplay from implementation, presentation, iteration, user feedback and performance monitoring.
- Profile, optimise and maintain new and existing code to maintain a smooth game experience across all devices.
- Explore and push what can be achieved and seek out original ideas.
- Solve problems through the application of sound engineering practice.
- Be part of Rare’s culture; Be inquisitive, try things out, break stuff, help people be even better, and think like you own the place.
- Recent experience developing in C++.
- Passion for video games, and a keen eye for what makes a great player experience.
- A solid grounding in Computer Science theory and C++ development.
- Experience working with Unreal Engine 4.
- Experience working in the field of Game AI.
- Experience working with multiplayer game architectures.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.