|Job Type:||Full Time|
This is a very exciting opportunity to become a member of our large, well-established and dynamic Traction Power & EMC team providing specialist consultancy services to an extensive list of international tier 1 clients in the fields of: traction power, earthing & bonding, stray current and electromagnetic compatibility. The work is varied and involves contribution to and/or responsibility for technical delivery of: feasibility and option engineering studies, power system studies, concept designs, technical specifications, detailed designs, support through construction and commissioning, bespoke technical investigations, etc. Secondment to client project offices within the UK as well as short to medium-term assignments in one of our many overseas offices (Australia, Canada, USA, etc.) are also possible depending on your career aspirations and the right opportunities arising. You will also be given the opportunity to develop and apply your project management and business development skills.
Reporting to and working with the Traction Power Team Leader in Croydon, your day-to-day work will include a combination of the following:
- Undertake site survey, asset records search and on-site record verification;
- Prepare and/or review technical reports, feasibility studies, option selection reports;
- Formulate scope of work, methodology and associated effort budget to support bids;
- Undertake and/or supervise power system modelling work (using ETAP and TRAIN, Mott MacDonald's multi-train simulator);
- Prepare and/or review outline and detailed designs for AC and DC electrification schemes including distribution and contact systems (electrical track equipment);
- Undertake/review earthing & bonding and protection studies;
- Provide input to other disciplines, including: Civils/Structures, SCADA, LV Power, Signalling and Signalling Power, System Assurance, etc.;
- Undertake construction sites inspection, on site design verification;
- Interface with clients (prepare and give presentations, chair meetings, etc.);
- Carry out bespoke technical investigation, which may require on-site measurements.
- First Degree in electrical engineering or equivalent;
- Good working knowledge and demonstrable experience in AC and/or DC railway traction power, ideally with involvement in multidisciplinary design and construction projects;
- Membership of a relevant professional institution;
- Chartered Engineer status or nearing to achievement of professional registration;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to draw logical conclusions based on limited information;
- Growth mindset combined with the ability to learn new skills on the job;
- IT skills: proficiency in usage of MS Office suite: Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint.
- Experience of design independent assessment;
- Appreciation of environmental issues associated with rail engineering works;
- IT skills: proficiency in usage ETAP modelling software or similar, TRAIN simulation software or similar, BIM and associated CAD software package (AutoCAD, Bentley AECOsim and Microstation);
- Network Rail Personal Track Safety pass.