A vacancy has arisen for an Operational Risk Manager within G&W UK/Europe region, reporting to the HSSE Director Rail. The purpose of this role will be to support the HSSE Director – Rail in ensuring that the risks associated with all train working, train movement, training etc. are effectively controlled. The post is responsible for maintaining operational risk assessments and ensuring that suitable control associated with all of these activities are in place and are being managed.
- Carry out training needs for any new business or existing business including working with customers and other business platforms such as Engineering/Terminals. Provide operational standards support safety implementation for any new training requirement;
- Support managers in the promulgation of world-class risk management across the service platform, with specific focus on risk identification, management and control. Collaborate to deliver support, general advice and guidance on relevant company standards and safe working practices;
- To ensure that operational changes within G&W UK are effectively managed in general and with particular regard to the safety implications on the introduction of new nor revised services to rail.
- Deliver Operational (Rail) training as required [Competency Development / Railsmart (EDS) / Data Recorder analyses /Human factors / risk assessment]
- Review and approve all CDP [above 1 day] plans to ensure a consistent standard of technical and non-technical application;
- Facilitate with Rail Subject Matter Expert Business Partner three monthly Operational safety/standards production meetings with all PM’s & OSM’s / Control Manager (to ensure continuous improvement);
- Co-ordinate attendance at NR regional OPSRAM to ensure a constant approach to Operational safety management (Consolidate lessons learnt & Initiatives);
- Attend External Key Stakeholder Meetings [Network Rail L2/RSSB]
- Undertake internal audits, assessment and verification processes relating to operational safety standards and assist managers in the implementation of recommendation, preventative and corrective actions;
- Carry out assessment and verification quality checks of EDS [Provide statistical data to compare both assessment and verification quality];
- Work with Operations Support Managers in Developing any new loading standards (Including competency).
- Verify any new of existing method of work with customers in conjunction with OSM [Incl Risk assessments] to ensure a consistent high standard approach;
- Assist in the Production of Operational KPI safety reports.
- Formulate remit’s for Formal investigations ensuring reports are produced in a timely manner.
- Assist the HSSE Team in ensuring Operational incident and accident investigations are actioned and addressed by the approximate manager in a timely.
- Discharge responsibilities as identified within the SMS, safety plan and other relevant documents.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties. The successful applicant will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by the role within and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
- Extensive and relevant Operational Rail experience and preferably previous specialist technical and operational subject matter expertise.
- Ability to perform the role of an Internal auditor and verifier;
- Previous experience in a safety management role preferable;
- Knowledge of current legislation, policies and procedures;
- Ability to undertake risk assessments in accordance with Rail industry practices;
- Coaching and training skills with the ability to identify skill gaps and training needs, developing staff as appropriate;
- Proactive, innovative and creative approach to problem solving;
- Excellent oral communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with the ability to take a confident and diplomatic approach with staff, colleagues and customers;
- Written communication skills with the ability to produce clear and concise reports.
- Prioritise and work well under pressure, whilst making key decisions;
- Numerical and analytical skills with the ability to interpret data/information and produce in a clear and logical format;
Role will require regular UK travel.
- A competitive salary
- Final Salary Pension Scheme
- Generous leave entitlement
- Generous employee benefits package, including attractive corporate discounts
- Training and development opportunities. We fully support a healthy work/life balance and have a free, confidential Employee Assistance Programme to promote well-being.
Proud to be a Work 180 endorsed employer:
Freightliner is proud to partner with WORK180 as an Endorsed Employer for Women. WORK180 is the only platform that pre-screens employers to see how well they support women’s careers.