|Job Type:||Full Time|
Department NameSouthern Region
About Network Rail
The Kent & Sussex Asset Protection (ASPRO) dept is part of the Southern Region of Network Rail. The ASPRO team is based at James Forbes House, Southwark and manages projects that are initiated and funded by external clients who wish to construct something over, under or near the railway, and which will affect the railway in some way.
Purpose of the ASPRO team
The team presents the "Front Face" of NWR to the external clients, and as such, has a responsibility in managing client expectations in a professional and effective manner but, at the same time, to ensure that the railway is safeguarded from any ill effects from the external projects.Scope of the ASPRO Team
The ASPRO team manages hundreds of projects in London, Kent and Sussex. These projects encompass a huge variety of types and values. Projects range from smaller, modest builds to multi-million budgets for external clients. Types of projects include asset protection to bridges, tunnels, residential and commercial developments, statutory undertakers' crossings, level crossing alterations, electricity pylons, telecoms masts and a host of others, including major schemes such as the Battersea Power station development and Cross Rail, as well as hundreds of minor schemes which need a fairly rapid response The essential theme of all these projects is that they must have some impact on the railway that needs project managing by the team in order to reduce the risk to NWR.
Monitor contractors' on site activities as Network Rail's representative so that their site activities are conducted in a safe and efficient manner with minimum impact on the environment and operational railway, and whether the work is of a high standard and complies with the relevant specifications and latest practices.
This is an office based position
About the role (External)
- The Assistant Construction Manager is responsible for supporting the Project Manager & Construction Manager of ASPRO and will provide advice, support and resolve queries at your own level of expertise
- The role will require the gathering and inputting of data such as information on Projects, Possessions, productivity, stakeholders, commercial and finance matters using Excel so that the data can be understood and used by the ASPRO Manager & Construction Team
- Work with contractors to ensure that relevant rules, regulations, Railway Group and Network Rail's company standards and all applicable procedures and legislation are being adhered too.
- Encourage an awareness of the importance of HSQE and good workmanship by regular communication with all contractors', and make the contractor aware of NR's policy for reporting accidents /incidents.
- Monitor validity of Contractor's employee's competency documentation, prior to works commencing and during all phases of work, using sentinel and construction industry checklists.
- In liaison with the contractor, jointly inspect first off examples of elements of the works, at the earliest opportunity, in order to agree the detailed workmanship standards for consistent application to the whole of the works.
- Maintain site presence as required to monitor and correct where necessary the standard and methods of work being always vigilant for inadequacies.Where remedial actions are required, confirm whether non-conformance reports are raised and closed out in an auditable manner.Maintain site diary in a detailed and professional manner
- Monitor progress of the works by site visits, inspections, and progress meetings, comparing work in progress with contract documents and information given at site meetings and with the overall contract programme. Locally agree site records with the contractor for payment purposes.
- Inspect completed works and survey for the readiness of portions of the work for inspection and for the recording of the outcome and the control of any remedial works required.
- Schedules of works and negotiating simple agreements with clients and Monitoring all team activities
- Complete project work/initiatives to deadlines and appropriate standards
- Develop positive relationships with customers (internal) on a day to day basis to meetservice requirements
- Identify potential areas for process improvement and make recommendations to line manager
- Provide information and education internally to facilitate end user performance
- An appreciation of access planning and possession requirements
- Ideally, you will have an understanding of commercial and financial matters and beknowledgeable about Construction and the Railways
- The ability to utilise and interrogate the possession planning system (PPS)
- To represent Kent Route ASPRO at planning meetings as required and report in summary form the outcomes to project owners
- To manage and represent the LSE Route ASPRO team for Delivery of Works within Possessions (DWWP)
- Assist Construction Manager (CM) in his duties of work
- Produce Safe System Of Works Plans
- A desire to learn and develop personal skills, knowledge, behaviours and values.
How to apply (External)Salary: £26,000 - £30,000
Closing date: 21st October 2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
Click 'apply now' to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Click here for more information
Want to find out about what benefits we offer? click here
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks. Click here for more information