|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Within our Retrieval Robotics department sits our Grid Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Grid and its storage and safety functionality. Our Mechanical Engineering team is looking for an accomplished Mechanical Design Engineer, who will be responsible for the smooth transition of Ocado’s technology systems, developed by our Development team, into manufacture.
Imagine the challenges of developing an ultra high throughput automated system that is the size of 4 football pitches; imagine the challenges of tolerance, scale, static and dynamic loads, manufacturing and rapid deployment for systems of this scale; imagine the challenges of developing a system with all of these requirements that must be “fit and forget” over a 20 year period of 24/7 use; imagine our latest tasks to achieve all of this within a system that must remain safe and operational after an earthquake; imagine working on products that are in high demand for deployment across multiple large scale clients sites globally; imagine the opportunity that making millions of components gives you to work on industry leading mass manufacturing methods.
The future of Grid development will include instrumentation and telemetry within our products, higher levels of automation and the continuous journey of improving and differentiating our product offerings. The Grid and Tote are core products with the OSP system and present some great engineering challenges. If you strive for interesting work and you want to work in a fast paced, exciting company on innovative solutions to the problems that have never been solved, then imagine yourself in this role.
How you would spend your days...
Our Mechanical Design team is looking for a highly experienced and highly passionate designer to help contribute towards the development of our Grid products.
- Design products with typically less than 2 year development lifecycle based on business requirements
- Create Technical concept de-risk activities and provide inputs to the test/project plans
- Confidently communicate solutions and designs to varying levels of seniority from graduate to director, both technical and non technical audience
- As the product design owner you will be our point of contact to support existing Grid products
- Comfortably make decisions based on cost, quality, schedule and risk
- Contributing to the peer/design review board and change management board
- Estimating design plans and contributing to project planning across the Grid stream
- Mentoring our expanding team, with some line management duties
We'd love to talk to you if you have...
- Considerable experience of designing with/for steel and aluminium joints, finishing, forming and fabrication techniques relevant to large high volume structures
- Designing for manufacture ins
- Experience designing products using high volume techniques in steel, aluminium and plastics
- The ability to verify own designs using hand calculations, statistical analysis, tolerance analysis, simple FEA
- Confidence in the ability to assess, question and identify technical gaps in design drawings and design concepts
- Skilled at creating, understanding and implementing technical drawings, tolerancing, GD&T to BS8888
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Mechanical Engineering qualification with experience is preferable
- Used to working in a fast paced, changing, professional environment
- Proven experience of modern CAD packages such as Solidworks
Bonus points if you also have...
- Experience in data management using Solidworks PDM
- Experience in generating realistic schedules and tracking progress against them;
- Understanding of the impact of safety and compliance legislation and its constraints on design
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.