|Job Type:||Full Time|
“Ocado Technology, researching, designing, engineering the next generation of hardware & software solutions through disruptive innovation”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouses that we design ourselves, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits the Delivery function, who are responsible for providing Project leadership for all development projects. Our Project teams have a catalogue of almost 140 products and counting, so are seeking a knowledgeable Project Lead to join their expanding group. As a Project Lead, you will be responsible for the delivery of New Product Development projects within Retrieval Robotics, meeting cost, timeline and quality requirements set by the business. The projects are technically challenging , fast paced and innovative.
What will you be doing?
Planning and control
- Planning, managing and controlling the project to the business case and requirements for the product
- Ensuring that the project delivers the key benefits based on time critical milestones and delivers all appropriate project outputs
- Provide project governance to ensure a project runs on time, on budget and meets quality and success criteria usings measurable objectives and KPIs
- On board and manage third party engineering contractors where necessary
- Owning and managing project risks, identifying and controlling both problems and opportunities by applying appropriate mitigations and monitoring and planning accordingly.
- Regularly advising the business and senior stakeholders on project risks and recommended responses to threats and opportunities.
- Ensure project teams deliver to the required standard in a timely fashion and act as an exemplar for the behavioural standards of Ocado Technology and Ocado as a whole.
- Work with the Product and cross functional Engineering teams to define, agree and communicate risks and issues as well as strategic and tactical priorities within the project and to stakeholders.
- Promote and maintain pro-active / open communication between the project and other teams and stakeholders
- Influence, facilitation and partnership. Solve conflict between teams, unlock blockers.
- Be able to communicate technical topics effectively to technical and non-technical stakeholders up to board level.
- Communicate relevant information about the project widely, concisely and accurately to assure customers, stakeholders and your delivery teams.
- Project reporting via various mediums: weekly flash reports, senior management steering, board presentations.
- Work with the product managers to understand the strategic vision of the product in order to proactively track and resolve project critical tasks
- Build collaborative relationships with all stakeholders and team members in order to successfully manage project lifecycles
- Ensuring that product launch is as seamless as possible. Managing the launch and go-live support teams and arrangements to allow the product to successfully enter into the operational environment at project closure
- Vendor selection to identify new suppliers and partners capable of supporting the delivery of innovative systems and technology as well as making sure that appropriate and effective contractual arrangements are in place. Vendor management of external suppliers and experts from requirements through contract, build, acceptance and test.
- Taking product business requirements and able to turn these into technical requirements. Taking specifications and planning out the activities and the resource required to ensure these criteria are achieved in the final product.
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
We’d love to hear from you if you have...
- Experience of product development projects and cycles - bringing new products to market - from Concept through to Benefits Realisation.
- Experience of leading projects, using various project leadership methodologies (Agile, Waterfall, etc).
- Experience of working with and managing a broad spectrum of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in leadership of technical teams, working with technical experts to drive solution deliverables to deadlines.
- Skilled in requirements management, project scoping, forecasting and planning, risk and issue management, resource management and change control
- Management of multiple projects at one time
- Driven, self-starter without requiring close supervision, collaborative, comfortable adapting to change and learning quickly in a fast-paced team
- A methodical and logical approach to problem solving with a sense of ownership
Bonus points if you also have...
- Recognised Project Management qualification/accreditation (PRINCE2, APM PMF/PMQ, AgilePM, etc)
- Strong experience of presenting and public speaking to senior audiences
- Experience of managing projects in the automation space.
- Experience of successfully working with Product Managers in a technology business.
- Good technical ability (or experience) relating to automation hardware. Knowledge of Ocado’s OSP MHE preferable
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.