|Job Type:||Full Time|
Become part of the team
Mechanical Engineers at PA are expected to be capable of working in a diverse range of fields (medical devices / automation / consumer products) in a short space of time, and as such should be able to get up to speed with a new project as soon as it comes through the door. PA is unique among technology consultancies in offering clients the opportunity to integrate new products and technology through to wider business solutions. As a member of our Mechanical Engineering team you will innovate at the intersection of science, technology and market needs. We pride ourselves on developing innovative solutions to hard problems.
To give a taste of what sorts of things you might expect from your first year, this is what two graduate joiners got up to over the last year:
“Over my first year at PA I have worked on four main projects. I didn’t know exactly what area I enjoyed initially so I tried to gather experience on a range of projects. This led to me working on the formulation of a new sustainable packaging for a food item made from the waste of the product being packaged.
I also worked on a project creating machines to convert dirty water to drinking water through ultra-filtration and UV sterilisation. I was involved with much of the testing of the control system as well as a trip to install two units in the first remote location. Through this I found my interest in machine building and design which led to work organising the building and testing of a production machine for a US manufacturing company which they are currently installing in their factory.
Now I am involved in designing test rigs to be used to support the design of a medical unit used to create CAR-T cells for cancer treatment. PA has been great offering me a real breadth of experience alongside a lot of responsibility and freedom to manoeuvre my job to work in whichever area (or areas!) interested me
“In my first month I began helping out with labwork to develop a new manufacturing process for a brand new supermarket food product. This allowed me to take charge of the small pieces of mechanical engineering on the project, and introduce me to workshop technicians and scientists that so often work closely with mechanical engineers at PA.
After this I was involved in the detailed development of a new medical device. This required several design iterations as we made prototypes, and delving into some theoretical work on material selection, mechanical stresses, and fluids.
In March I helped out with the ventilator challenge, and in later months the Airora air purifier. (https://www.paconsulting.com/services/product-design-and-engineering/hydroxyl/) Although there’s been big changes here over the last few months it has been great to get stuck into projects that will help tackle COVID-19.
Right now I’m helping develop some high speed automation equipment for medical device assembly in the US – plenty more to learn here too!”
What we're looking for
- Minimum 2:1 degree in Mechanical Engineering or related subject or equivalent experience
- Readiness to assist with a wide range of tasks within multidisciplinary teams, such as lab work, testing and research
- Proficiency in 3D CAD systems; preferably SolidWorks
- Understanding and proven experience of mechanical engineering fundamentals
- Willingness to take part in hands on work such as machine building and device testing
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capability
- Customer focus, with a professional and confident communication style
- The ability to innovate and think freely
- Energy and enthusiasm to take on new challenges in a range of industry sectors
- Able to solve problems using both logic and creative/innovative approaches
- Numerate and highly computer literate, with excellent analytical skills
- Able to plan and prioritise, work to deadlines and under pressure
- A genuine interest in Engineering
- Private medical insurance
- Travel allowance
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
- Additional optional benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future in a technology-driven world.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 3,200 specialists in consumer, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government, health and life sciences, manufacturing, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists. We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Europe, and the Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
Inclusion & Diversity
We believe that diversity makes us a stronger firm and look to employ people with different ideas, styles and skillsets. This diversity stimulates a rich, creative environment – one in which our people develop, and our clients enjoy enduring results. We’re committed to recruiting, promoting and rewarding our people solely based on their ability to contribute to PA’s goals, without regard to their sex, race, disability, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.
Should you need any adjustments to the recruitment process, at either application or interview, please contact us on email@example.com