|Job Type:||Full Time|
Title: Platform Engineer
Reporting line: Head of Engineering
About the Technology team
Technology plays a crucial and central role in our business. Everything we do is enabled, augmentedand supported by the technology teams. We are organised into 5 distinct groups all who rely heavily on,and support, each other. We all report to the CIO who reports to the CEO. Technology is always represented at the top table.
Engineering/CTO office : This team is responsible for designing, building, delivering and operating our consumer digital products and ensuring that our editorial teams have the best technology to publish and distribute our journalism. We are cloud first and increasingly cloud native. This is where the engineers, architects, developers,business analysts, scrum masters and testers generally work.
Enterprise Technology: The IT team looks after all our back office requirements, telecomms, desktop support and also supports the technologies required for creating the print products (newspapers, magazines) . Here you’ll find support analysts, support engineers,application support engineers and project management & delivery people.
Product Management: Key to any digital consumer company is the Product Team. This team of media-specialist product managers envision and shape our products to make them the best that they can be. They work directly with stakeholders and translate the vision into things that can be built by our engineering team.
Data: The data team is pivotal to our operation, in managing our internal reporting, analysis and data science whilst ensuring we have the best systems and services to manage our subscription business. They also look after our commercial & payment systems and the critical paywall technologies we employ. The sort of roles in this team are data engineers, data scientists, AI & ML experts and delivery and business analysis.
Newspaper Operations: This is the team that ensures our newspapers are printed to the exacting reprographic standards we are known for, and that the resulting product is distributed to every corner or the UK, 364 times a year (we don't do a Christmas edition!). This is where media planners, graphic experts and logistics experts work.
We actively encourage (through our various staff progression initiatives) movement of people around the various teams and disciplines.
About the role
As a Platform Engineer, you are responsible for building world-class digital products with a deep understanding of the software development processes and craft. Reporting to the Head of Engineering you will deliver key components to be used internally and by our partners & customers. Working within our platforms team, you will be responsible for building high traffic, scalable software APIs that power The Telegraph’s websites, mobile,3rd party applications and syndication as well asworking with the systems engineers to build The Telegraph’s internal platform as a service infrastructure on top of GCP and AWS cloud platforms.
You will work within a high-performing, agile team that works directly with the business and its stakeholders to deliver a comprehensive roadmap of APIs and cloud infrastructure automation using modern at-scale orchestration and container methodologies.
You are expected to work with full autonomy to help deliver end to end features and technicalimprovements in a modern Java ecosystem. This includes, but not restricted to, working alongsidearchitecture to help define the cloud infrastructure, through helping test core functionality and demoingnew deliverables to the wider business.
You’ll also be expected to learn and certify on your specialism, specifically cloud technologies and to bevery familiar with the SRE (site reliability engineering) ethos.
● Build shippable software following Engineering standards in place.
● Build and maintain key Engineering blocks that other teams can rely upon (such as APIs and Big
● Ensure the deliveries are on time and of the required quality.
● Develop and lead an effective model for assuring engineering quality standards, best practices,
technical decision making across the platform engineering team
● Ensure a globally robust and highly scalable approach to development to support our growing
number of global users and services.
● Promote the company and department internally and externally, evangelise the strategy, exhibit
the Technology behaviours & company values, follow the Technology principles, and encourage
your staff and/or colleagues to do the same
● Writing and ensuring the code quality, cloud best practices, CI/CD, monitoring, logging,
security standards are maintained and improved.
● Contribute to the various company tech guilds/chapters with training/ presentations/blogs
● Building CI/CD pipelines
● Working with the SEs to maintain and improve and automate the cloud infrastructure
Essential skills required for the role
1. Java - Extensive knowledge/experience of core Java design and development
2. Passionate about the craft of software development and the delivery of a quality digital product
and able to enthuse others aligning them to adopt and embrace the same characteristics.
3. Experience with software design concepts, practices, modern development methodologies,
particularly agile, CI/CD and common architectures, TDD, Rigorous regular refactoring and pair
4. Knowledge of cloud technologies and designing cloud-native applications for IaaS and PaaS
environments such as GCP, AWS including serverless architectures
5. Experience with API construction using current best practice (defensive coding, Authentication,
6. Excellent communication skills (oral and written) to both a technical and non-technical
audience and capable of starting/building things/processes from scratch and seeing them
Additional skills useful for the role
● Demonstrable experience in fast-paced development delivery – that balances frequency of
deployment with very high-quality product
● Background in designing and programming on large scale / distributed systems is desirable
● Knowledge of other languages, Python, Node in particular,
What you can expect from The Telegraph if you’re the successful candidate
● Central London location, 3 minutes from Victoria station
● Modern cloud first technology stack (Google and Amazon)
● Macbook Pro
● Technology conference attendance (there are always speaking opportunities)
● Technical and business training and technical certifications where relevant (and the time to do
● 2 days ‘personal development training’ of your choice (additional to any other training you
● Innovation & R&D time
● Flexible working, per your line manager’s agreement.
● A range of excellent benefits (including on-site gym, massages, GPs and more).
● Extensive in-role development, certification and access to formal development.
Telegraph Media Group’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we
are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We
encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual
orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy,
parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment
process with us, please make us aware.