Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs. It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus and a culture focused on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.
The Innovation and Manufacturing Team (I&M) in Cambridge (UK) consists of several busy laboratories. This role will support the lab teams by taking responsibility for day-to-day housekeeping that is essential in maintaining our output of great quality data. The responsibilities of this role will include waste management, specialist laboratory cleaning, maintenance of communal lab areas, maintaining stock of lab consumables and reagents, sample inventory and distribution, buffer preparation and supply of clean lab ware. Support is required in general lab areas, our cell culture suite and molecular lab, requiring a conscientious, flexible approach and great attention to detail. Full training will be given, but previous experience of a laboratory environment is essential.
Support the I&M Teams to maintain clean, well-stocked laboratories. To maintain service contracts for all Lab equipment that comes under the Facilities budget. Oversee the Hanwell fridge/freezer system, re tech support, probes etc.
- Waste management. Keeping lab areas clear of solid and liquid/chemical waste, adhering strictly to local disposal policies.
- Specialist laboratory cleaning. Each lab area has different cleaning requirements and specific health and safety considerations. In this role you will receive specific training for each area.
- Maintaining stock of lab consumables and reagents. Regular stock-taking, ordering and re-stocking each lab area with routine reagents and consumables.
- Sample inventory and distribution. Maintain accurate records of samples coming in and out of the labs. Distribute samples around the buildings as required, while at all times maintaining correct storage conditions.
- Buffer preparation. After thorough training, prepare standard buffers and reagents according to defined operating procedures and complete all required records accurately.
- Equipment calibration. After thorough training, perform routine calibration of core laboratory equipment following defined operating procedures and complete all required records accurately.
- Supply of clean lab ware. Maintain a cycle of collecting used items from each lab, washing and returning clean to their original lab location.
- Maintenance of communal lab areas and shared resources as required.
- Help establish a safe and efficient working environment in the laboratory and help to ensure the safety of colleagues & visitors. Abide by laboratory SOPs and Health and Safety policies at all times.
- Proactively report problems, with solution proposals and actions.
- Actively contribute ideas for improving standard processes and procedures
To maintain service contracts for all Lab equipment that comes under the Facilities budget. Set up/oversee PPM Plan for all equipment
Oversee the Hanwell fridge/freezer system, re tech support, probes etc.
Controls lab equipment service contracts
Oversee Hanwell freezer monitoring equipment
Excellent communication skills / across all levels
Good understanding of companywide issues
IT Savvy – Good with managing diaries / contract engineers
- Investigating and Documentation.
- Health and Safety
- Supervision of contractor engineers
- Understanding of service contracts
Time keeping, good work ethic and flexibility.
- You will be required to hold at least 2 A-Levels (or equivalent) including Biology and Chemistry
- Recent experience working in a laboratory environment is key
- You will be proficient in using Microsoft applications including Excel, Word and Outlook
- You are able to work well in a team, organise workloads and communicate effectively
- If you have experience of buffer preparation and following standard operating procedures this is advantageous
- Experience in a cell culture laboratory will be beneficial
- Understanding of service contracts, RAMs, Method statements
Abcam has recently moved to a new global headquarters on the Cambridge Biomedical Campus a site which combines world-class biomedical research, patient care and education on a single site, and is on track to become one of the leading biomedical centres in the world by 2020. The new building will house a state-of-the-art lab and office space along with new and improved facilities for staff. Read more about our new office here.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.