|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are looking for a highly motivated lawyer with the ability to work independently and as part of a team, supporting the Agency Securities Lending Business. The role is in the Legal Department and involves working closely with the respective Business representatives and with other corporate functions, globally.
A qualified lawyer (European law/Common law jurisdiction/ English law) with post qualification experience is needed to provide legal support to J.P. Morgan’s Agency Securities Lending Business.
The lawyer will work closely with the Agency Securities Lending Business on negotiations, product development, development of legal policies and controls, day-to-day business support, and complex new business transactions. The position entails extensive, independent contact with, and support of, senior business personnel within Investor Services and significant opportunity for career development.
This position is located in London.
- Advising the Agency Securities Lending Business on all legal and documentation related issues on wide ranging issues and situations.
- Negotiating agreements such as the Securities Lending Agreement, Overseas Securities Lending Agreement, Global Master Lending Agreement and Global Master Repurchase Agreement, and any related ancillary documentation (including any related drafting), with clients such as mutual funds, pension funds, sovereign wealth funds and counterparties such as global financial institutions and their internal or external counsel, as required.
- Providing day-to-day legal advice and guidance in relation to the flow/operational agency securities lending business and generally, ad hoc legal advice and enquiries, as required.
- Attendance at internal and external meetings, for example, product development meetings, business control meetings and document negotiations with clients and/or their internal and external legal counsel.
- Instructing and liaising with external counsel, as required, including review and analysis of legal opinions.
- Advising the businesses on key legal/regulatory issues and participating in industry groups to assess and implement new regulatory requirements.
- Assessing legal risk, advising on such risk and reviewing policies and procedures and processing changes to mitigate risk.
- Close coordination with colleagues in the US/Latam and AsiaPac on relevant issues.
- Liaising with business representatives and legal/compliance colleagues and other control functions e.g. credit, risk, tax in EMEA and globally.
- Providing legal advice to the business to assist with the implementation of new initiatives.
- Post qualification experience either with City law firm or equivalent experience as lawyer obtained in private practice or in-house at comparable financial institutions.
- Good experience within the Legal Department of a premier financial institution or in private practice (preferably with in-house experience);
- Experience of the following would be advantageous but not mandatory: general commercial negotiations within the area of stock borrowing/lending and securities financing; trust; fiduciary; trading of international securities; set off arrangements; and a general background in securities work;
- Ability to understand the business needs and partner with the business to create solutions;
- Strong organizational and project management skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Pragmatic with excellent business sense; and
- Ability to work independently, manage complex projects and multitask successfully in fast-paced and complex business environment.