|Job Type:||Full Time|
Job Title: Software Engineer - Python
Reports to: Head of Technology - Data
Version: September 2020
Role purpose and overview
This is a technical role within the Telegraph data platform team. Working closely with a cross functional team of data scientists, analysts and engineers, you’ll be an integral part of the data engineering chapter driving evolution of the data architecture, supporting the use of cutting edge AI and ML to optimise business processes. Additionally, alongside other senior members, you’ll take part in shaping the team across aspects such as technology and product.
You’ll be part of the team that heads development of data platforms, with reliability, scalability and performance in mind. Along with other members of the Data Engineering team you will help to enable near real-time streaming capabilities.
You’ll be working with the wider business in order to improve the development of data processing procedures, database structures and of performance to meet business requirements.
In return the successful candidate will gain exposure to the full range of technologies in the modern data landscape. It offers fantastic scope for a talented individual with a strong interest in data to broaden their experience.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Build shippable software following Engineering standards in place.
- Build and maintain key Engineering blocks that other teams can rely upon (such as APIs and Big Data implementations).
- Support the current stack and be able to extend it with new features.
- Work on ad-hoc R&D projects
- Work closely with TMG’s business intelligence users, operations and development teams on projects and CR’s, encouraging a data driven and pragmatic approach to tackling challenges and problems.
- Ensure the deliveries are on time and of the required quality
- Maintain the company’s data assets at required quality levels
- Follow the Agile methodologies implemented in the Engineering team.
- Help to design and build solid, efficient, stable APIs.
- Help to maintain the high standard of the code
- Keep up to date with the latest technologies and methodologies to ensure TMG stays ahead of the game.
- Ensure a globally robust and highly scalable approach to development to support our growing number of global users and services.
- Enforce best practices in terms of code quality and design of processes.
Essential skills required for the role
- Python development skills:
- Experience with Python data pipelines, ability to implement ETL processes in Python
- Knowledge of technologies: Git, Docker, Jenkins, REST API
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or Amazon AWS
- At least 2 years of experience in data or software development
- Knowledge of big data platforms
- SQL, scripting, relational, BI
- Knowledge of Bash language
- Ability to propose, design and implement a simple ETL solutions both in batch and real-time
- Understanding of what is a continuous delivery pipeline and ability to design a process
- Ability to pick the correct technology for the correct task
- Ability to write a swagger specification for an API starting from a set of requirements
Skills that would be advantageous
- Experience with Data streams in Google Dataflow or Apache beam
- Development of simple Talend components
- Agile development practices
- Elastic Search
- Data modelling skills. Designing simple star schemas if required
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware
What you can expect from the Telegraph Media Group if you’re the successful candidate:
- The Telegraph supports flexible working, per your line manager’s agreement.
- A range of excellent benefits (including on-site gym, massages, and more).
- In-role development and access to formal development.