|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
A little about our team...
Our Retrieval Robotics Bot Hardware team is at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within the Bot Hardware team sits the Reliability function, which is responsible for assessing and predicting the reliability of our automated products. Our Reliability team is now looking for an enthusiastic & dynamic Reliability Engineer to join them, whose main goal will be working on new projects to assess the functional and reliability performance of different systems of Ocado Smart platform. This is a key strategic role which will bridge the gap between engineering and software team disciplines.
How you'll spend your days…
- Define test strategies for new product development including key metrics to measure, test and analyse.
- Support new test programmes by advising on sample sizes, statistical confidence levels and other reliability targets that need to be achieved.
- Develop predictive reliability models for new and existing products.
- Support development of future reliability rigs.
- Quantify the impact on reliability of any design changes or cost down projects.
- Use accelerated life testing & stress screening techniques to realise potential weaknesses in design of new products. Work with other teams to mitigate them.
- Identify opportunities to improve or create new KPIs (Key performance Indicators) for existing and new products
- Extract useful statistics from existing product(s) in order to drive improvements for the next generation of design.
- Lead and collaborate on root cause investigations in product reliability issues.
- Facilitate and lead Risk analysis and FMEA Workshops.
We’re passionate about people with...
- Excellent numerical, modelling and structured problem-solving skills and creative thinking
- Experience of collating, analysing and interpreting large data sets
- Ability to produce and present technical findings across all business levels
- Passion for identifying and presenting underlying ‘causes’ behind data trends (Desirable)
- Attention to detail, self starter with a “Can-do” attitude
- Collaborative and growth mindset
- Shares knowledge and loves to coach / develop others in best practices
- An honours degree in a numerate discipline such as Computer Science, Engineering, Physics or Mathematics is prefered
It's a bonus if you also have...
- A statistics based post-graduate qualification
- Experience of using accelerated life testing, reliability growth curves in electro-mechanical product development.
- Experience of using Minitab and/or Six Sigma toolkits
- Proficiency in reliability software packages such as BlockSIM, Weibull++
- Ability to travel to Ocado’s other sites within the UK
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.