|Job Type:||Full Time|
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouses that we design in-house, our world-class talent constantly moves the goal posts of what is possible to achieve through sustained technological disruption.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.
What will I be doing?
As a Content Strategist at Ocado Technology, you would be responsible for the delivery of written content relating to the development and release of products or features for Ocado Smart Platform (OSP) - our end-to-end ecommerce and fulfillment solution for grocery.
You would be working directly with one or more development teams, providing technical communication support to the team(s) and would be involved in the development of new features and functionality from conception through to release.
All features we develop must have approved UI text and documentation in order for them to be released. You would be essential in helping us continuously deploy new functionality.
While you would work directly with a development team, you would be a member of a wider Technical Communications unit which collectively provides the support, guidance and education needed to perform the role.
Away from the direct work with the development team(s), you would be expected to take an active role in furthering the aims of the wider Technical Communications unit. You would do this by contributing to improve the practices and working methods that are followed, and to enhance the clients’ experience of using the OSP Help and Learning Centre.
How you’ll spend your days
- Producing clear, easy-to-read, and consistent software documentation and supporting content.
- Writing concise, usable UI text in accordance with the UI style guide.
- Becoming a subject matter expert for the areas you work on.
- Working closely with Product Managers, UX Designers, Developers, and other Content Strategists.
- Understanding the needs of Training Managers responsible for training clients in the use of our software, to ensure help content supports and complements their efforts.
- Producing consistent screenshots and other visualisations or media when required, such as videos.
- Reviewing and proofreading other writers’ work.
- Contributing to the working methods and processes of the wider Technical Communications team.
We’re looking for someone who has strong technical writing experience and is a content enthusiast - who knows the impact well-written content can have, and also who is looking to explore new ways of enhancing the experience of learning to use, and using, the software with new and emerging approaches.
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
We would like to hear from you if you have:
- Proven technical writing experience for software, such as help instructions, user guides, release notes, and tutorials, according to accepted industry standards.
- Proven writing experience for software, such as feature guides, help instructions, release notes, and tutorials, according to accepted industry standards.
- Proven experience of writing for user interfaces, and to be able to demonstrate what makes effective UI writing and what doesn’t.
- The ability to write easy-to-read, fluent text in plain English, and the capability to organise content clearly.
- Proven experience of working directly with development teams.
- Proven ability to understand sometimes complex flows or technical information, and to be able to explain them clearly and simply to an end-user
Bonus points if you have experience:
- Writing for internationalisation - and working with software and content that is delivered in multiple languages.
- Using static site generators such as Jekyll, and writing in Markdown.
- Using Git, or other version control systems.
- Working in an Agile environment
What can we offer you?
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.