|Job Type:||Full Time|
Department NameEastern Region
About Network Rail
Network Rail are on a mission. The mission is to become one of Britain's best employers and believe that starts with our colleagues and customers who we put at the heart of everything we do!
We're passionate about great service, and ask ourselves; what can we do to put our passengers and freight users at the centre of everything we do? We pull together as one industry because we care about people and teamwork is key. View our short video on our Putting Passengers and Freight First (PPFF) programme that outlines some key things we are working on as a business.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qz6xnDBNLdw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The Eastern region operates some of the busiest and most congested rail lines in the country, transporting large numbers of commuters to and from busy cities including Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Derby, Norwich, Cambridge and London.
There is an exciting opportunity to join us in a role that is vital to our success. We are looking for an Associate Sponsor to join our East Midlands Investment team.
This is a great opportunity to be part of Network Rail who is at the heart of revitalising Britain's economy, connecting people to their favourite places. Our programmes include the electrification of the Midland Mainline, connecting new stations like Brent Cross, and working with industry partners like HS2, East-West Rail, East Midlands Railway, Govia Thameslink Railway and Cross Country to improve the passenger experiences. We're involved in some of the most ambitious and diverse ventures that this country has ever seen.
The East Midland sponsorship team sits within the Eastern Region, holding accountability of the enhancement projects within the East Midlands route. We ensure delivery of the benefits of new train paths, timetabling and train movements to enable safe performance and meet the needs of our customers.
You will be instrumental in making these projects a reality by shadowing your team, leading and supporting projects/programmes across the route. You can expect to be mentored and supported in your career by driving the development and implementation of specific small / medium sized schemes as directed by your line manager, the lead sponsor.
You can be proud knowing that every single day you will be contributing to building a better railway for our millions of passengers. We will give a dynamic range of challenges and opportunities to allow you to grow as a professional. You will never lack progression or a sense of achievement.
About the role (External)
Role and Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Work as part of the sponsor team to lead on specific schemes and work streams
- Support the interests of the funder, customer or [partner where appropriate within Network Rail
- Actively participate in the remit process; reviewing and commenting on client, customer, and partner requirements to test the viability of proposed schemes taking in to account value for money, network availability and capacity for future development and whole life cost
- Under direction, produce investment papers for small / medium sized schemes and support the business case process
- Provide input to the development of the initial project plan and budget; working with your manager and project manager to specify how the project will be delivered; expected achievements and associated timescales, risks and issues
- Monitor progress on projects/programmes against agreed budgets, delivery plans and work programmes, ambitious delivery partners as appropriate to correct adverse trends
- Communicate and report project progress status to your team, client, customer and partners against defined and agreed landmarks
- Support the process of quantifying risks associated with the portfolio of projects. Working within your team you will devise mitigating actions and periodically review recovery progress
- Participate in negotiations with customers and partners on commercial and contractual terms
- Align with the requirements of corporate investment regulations, other corporate governance and the Guide to Railway Investment Projects.
About the role:
- Experience of dealing with people at all levels
- Ability to communicate and articulate clearly and concisely
- Solid ability to write coherently; conveying report / investment information in a concise manner
- Commercially astute, persuasive, and customer focused
- Influencing and negotiating skills
Do you have?
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent
- Knowledge / understanding of the railway industry
- Knowledge / understanding of project environments
- Experience in negotiating contracts
How to apply (External)
Salary and benefits:
**Please note that the advert closes on the 30-09-2020 and late applications will not be considered **
Oh, and by the way…
We care deeply about welcoming people no matter where they're from, how old they are or what disability they may have. We encourage applications from every age, race, ethnicity, disability, gender, gender identity, religion, culture, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, maternity or caring responsibility. We want our employees to bring their whole self to work and that starts with you!
We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential skills and experience detailed above. Network Rail positively embraces flexible working, recognising that employees may wish to balance work and family/home life. We will consider all flexible working applications.
Network Rail is required to comply with UK Government standards when carrying out pre-employment checks for all new starters; this includes a basic criminal record check. In addition to the basic criminal record check, in accordance with the UK Government we are also required to verify your identity, right to work in the UK and previous three years employment history.
If you like the sound of all that, we'd love it if you could submit your application online.