|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are Global
We’re proud to be one of the world’s leading media and entertainment groups. Whether it be on-air, via global player or through our outdoor advertising, we entertain and reach over 50 million individuals across the UK every week.
Across our entire business, we’re committed to making more moments that matter for our audiences, customers and for each other. And every moment matters … the small, the big and everything in between. We couldn’t do any of it without our talented, passionate Globallers. Everything we do is driven by our culture and the talented people who make it happen.
Here at Global, we have a saying … it’s all about how you make people feel. It’s our company ethos, our guiding belief and it’s so much more than words. It’s the vibe you get when you walk into one of our offices, it’s what keeps us honest and true to who we are, and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Reporting of the Role
This role reports to Legal Director, UK and Ireland
Overview of job
To work closely with the Outdoor UK and Ireland legal team (3 others) and Outdoor General Counsel to support all parts of the Outdoor advertising division, covering the full range of legal and compliance needs including commercial contracts; real estate; litigation; IP and company secretarial.
A pro-active attitude is essential along with a dynamic, flexible and calm approach in order to plan ahead and prioritise. Excellent attention to detail and good drafting skills are also key.
3 best things about the job
- Wide variety of high-quality work, including commercial contracts; real estate; litigation; IP and company secretarial.
- Be part of an exciting and growing media business.
- Work with great colleagues in a collaborative and positive culture.
Measures of success –
In the first few months, you would have
- Built strong relationships of trust with the rest of the Outdoor Legal Team and senior stakeholders.
- Undertaken a wide variety of legal work, supporting all areas of the Outdoor business.
- Made a valuable contribution to the wider running of the legal function including process improvement and document management.
Responsibilities of the role
- Providing legal support to the UK and Irish businesses.
- Drafting and negotiating broad range of commercial and real estate contracts – including sales, purchasing, IT, IP, confidentiality, lease and licence agreements.
- Assisting on the standardising of certain contract templates.
- Supporting commercial contract negotiations with suppliers, partners, landlords, , licensors, advertisers, etc.
- Undertaking general company secretarial work, including drafting board minutes, shareholder resolutions and effecting changes to directors.
- Organising workload to ensure matters are prioritised in accordance with the needs of the business.
- Keeping up to date on changes in the law and legislation.
- Evaluation of risk and management of litigation.
- Assisting on the training of business people on legal issues and use of standard contracts.
- Assisting General Counsel on complex projects, including M&A, refinancing, restructuring, reorganisations.
What you will need
Must have an ability to:
- Articulate a clear message and persuade and influence others to gain support for ideas or actions in the best interest of the organisation.
- Draft “easy to understand” emails without legal jargon.
- Convey messages in an impactful, candid and credible manner through a variety of communication channels.
- Gain respect and attention.
- Challenge in a compelling and tactful manner.
Client Partner Focus:
Must have an ability to:
- Understand the business, the competitive environment and shareholder needs and demands.
- Understand and articulate customer needs and expectations and translate these into departmental and business responses.
- Initiate, understand and respond to detailed analysis of client needs and priorities in order to set and maintain a competitive advantage for the business.
- Be insightful about the current market-place, through maintenance of strong formal and informal network/relationships.
Must have an ability to:
- Manage potentially conflicting priorities and focus to reach a positive outcome for all.
- Listen and respond positively to challenge, compromise.
- Work with, and through, managers on projects and tasks, and seek input and advice from colleagues.
- Raise difficult issues with senior members of the Legal Team and develop positive outcomes.
- Have excellent attention to detail.
- Be approachable, willing to listen.
- Be pragmatic, customer orientated and have a proven ability at building and maintaining relationships both internally and externally.
- Be able to demonstrate decision-making and prioritisation skills, with limited input and guidance.
- Have a commercial interest and desire to understand the workings of the business.
- Have an ability to anticipate and predict situations and potential problems.
- Have an ability to keep a cool and level head.
- Maintain good working practice with integrity and diplomacy.
- Be a personable individual with a good sense of fun and humour.
- Have an ability to be flexible.
- Have excellent organisational and communication skills.
- Be able to be collaborative– willing and able to help out with any departmental activities.
- Be able to “think outside the box” and not be afraid to work in areas of law that are new to you.
You must have:
- A broad experience of commercial matters, including drafting commercial contracts.
- A team player attitude – comfortable operating within multi-disciplinary teams.
- Able to build relationships with key people both internally and externally.
- Accuracy and a high attention to detail.
- Ability to demonstrate high levels of customer service.
- A proven ability to manage a busy workload and work to deadlines.
- A commercial interest and understanding of the workings of the company.
- Ideally, some in-house experience (whether gained on a secondment or in employment).
- Good academic qualifications being a qualified solicitor (or equivalent) in England and Wales or other common law jurisdiction.
- Must have strong degree, at least 2:1.
- 0 - 1 years PQE.
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global.