|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Station B team at Microsoft Research Cambridge (UK) aims to transform the development and production of life-saving therapies, including cancer immunotherapy, via world-class research in synthetic and computational biology.
The team has an exciting opportunity for a senior scientist who will design and develop methods and tools for programming biology, in partnership with domain experts from leading companies such as Oxford Biomedica and Novartis. The candidate will be responsible for developing and driving an exciting research agenda working in a multi-disciplinary environment that also includes colleagues with expertise in machine learning, systems and biology.
The ideal candidate will have strong intellectual curiosity and passion to solve real-world problems in health and life sciences. The focus of the position is to work with a team of researchers and engineers to design and develop methods and software for programming biology. This will include developing methods to structure biological knowledge and experimental data, encoding representations of biological protocols, and creating software tools to design, build and test genetic circuits. The responsibilities include:
- Biological and computational modelling, developing software tools for biological circuits.
- Engage with domain experts and scientists to shape the research for maximum impact and relevance.
- Publishing work in leading scientific journals and conferences such as.
- Supervision of PhD students and interns.
- PhD or equivalent in a relevant field with a focus on computational biology.
- Experience in the design and development of genetic circuit design methods and software.
- Strong background in developing computational solutions in the field of synthetic biology.
- Experience with creating cloud-based data handling and analysis methods.
- Ability and desire to work in a cross-disciplinary team.
- Ability to take initiative to form successful partnerships with potential collaborators.
- Track record of executing on an innovative research agenda, including publications in leading scientific journals.
Desirable additional skills:
- Experience developing software with the programming language F#.
- Experience with connected lab automation.
- Experience working with and contributing to open standards in Synthetic Biology.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.