|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
We build the systems that power the supply chain activities of our retail partners using OSP around the world. As high-profile, mission critical applications, these require rigour, creativity, and engineering prowess to succeed.
What would I be doing?
The main purpose of this role is to lead a team of software engineers within one of OSP’s Supply Chain teams, delivering business-critical functionality whilst maintaining high morale, managing the day to day activities in an efficient and professional manner and supporting the team in meeting their targets. You will be responsible for the following.
- Collaboratively develop and implement engineering standards & processes to aid in the development of high quality software.
- Work with other team leaders and development teams to create and maintain a cohesive and sound architecture.
- Gain sufficient domain knowledge to be able to actively participate in specifying software solutions for business needs.
- Create feedback loops at all levels to ensure work delivers value.
- Proactively report and communicate to the wider organisation on team progress, successes and challenges.
- Ensure team members receive regular and actionable feedback.
- Mentor and coach you team members around their strengths and weaknesses to increase their individual effectiveness in the team.
- Build and promote a positive culture and working environment within the team and the organisation.
- Effectively manage team members in line with company policy and procedures, including performance, development, disciplinary and conflict resolution.
- Help lead initiatives within the team, the department and the wider organisation.
- Perform 3rd line support as required outside of standard working hours.
What we are looking for:
- A proven track record of developing high-quality software to business specification whilst understanding processes and requirements.
- Experience of shaping an effective software delivery process within a team.
- Demonstrable ability to influence decisions by developing and maintaining relationships with senior product and engineering managers.
- Demonstrable ability to identify and develop current and future talent to contribute to business success.
- Demonstrable ability to translate strategic objectives into everyday activity and guide and motivate others to do the same.
- Demonstrable adaptability: working under pressure and remaining positive and focused during times of change.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.