|Job Type:||Full Time|
Department NameRoute Services
About Network Rail
We at Network Rail are dedicated to becoming one of Britain's best employers and believe this starts with placing the candidate at the heart of everything we do!
Our ambition to be responsive to passengers and freight users, drives us every day and we're empowered to do the right thing for those who use the rail network. We actively challenge unsafe practices and take responsibility for addressing risks, resolving issues and protecting safety and wellbeing.
We're passionate about great service and we ask ourselves, what can we do to put our passengers and freight users at the centre of everything we do? With this in mind, we pull together as one industry because we care about people and teamwork is key. For more information about Network Rail click here.
Route Services is a division of Network Rail, formed to provide our routes with services and supplies that they need in order to maintain and deliver a better railway for a better Britain. We work with our customers to provide them with the safest, most cost-efficient and effective services enabling them to benefit from economies of scale and optimised national resources.
Network Rail Design Delivery (NRDD) are a part of Route Services and provide a managed service for design delivery through a regionally-structured, multi-disciplinary organisation and relationships with supply chain design organisations. NRDD bring a range of different specialisations including Signalling, E&P, B&C and Track Design that complement each other to improve the overall diverse service offering.
We support a variety of projects ranging from resignallings and enhancements to life extensions and intricate alterations to legacy systems.We therefore expect candidates to have an appreciation of all phases of projects, as well as demonstrable experience in specific types or stages of work.
You will undertake both design and checking of engineering schemes to meet customer requirements, in compliance with technical, safety, environmental and quality standards. You will be required to develop engineering solutions to proposals to best satisfy the business case.
About the role (External)
- Undertake the preparation and checking of design details, as directed.
- Verify that detailed engineering designs and scheme development activities, result in schemes that are affordable, and that meet programme requirements in a safe and environmentally responsible manner to time, cost and quality.
- Undertake the development of engineering options giving consideration to safety, reliability, operational capacity modelling, maintainability, ease of construction, environmental and whole life issues. Engineering excellence is to be supported by:
oSecuring all relevant base data.
oReview compliance with appropriate standards.
oUse risk identification and evaluation methods as suitable, to evaluate and compare options.
oUse feedback from all relevant past projects across the UK rail network, lessons learned and customer feedback to improve quality of design.
oKeeping designers up to date in signalling technology via training, briefings and mentoring.
oMaintain strict change control on scope development; evaluate cost, time and performance impacts in conjunction with development management and project engineers.
- Undertake the preparation of the full engineering data package required for commencement of the detailed design and participate in answering clarifications/queries as needed. Advise on practical solutions where infrastructure deficiencies have been raised. Provide technical support to other departments as required.
- Liaise with the Designated Project Engineers throughout the project on inter-discipline matters.
- Undertake site visits including organising and undertaking correlation.
- Lead specialist investigations/surveys, analyse results and report to the relevant authorities.
- Deal with technical correspondence, liaise with customers, attend meetings, assist in estimating, planning and workload allocation of the Group.
- Assist in design activities associated with testing for new or modified systems / installations as required.
- Working towards an HNC/HND or equivalent industry-recognised qualification.
- IRSE Licence holder Signalling Principles Designer or Signalling Design Verifier, or Signalling Designer demonstrably working towards a higher category.
- A demonstrable aptitude for option development.
- Strong evaluation and decision-making skills.
- A working knowledge of rail engineering; relevant successful experience working in the principal discipline and an adequate understanding of all other related disciplines.
- An ability to work and communicate effectively in a team context.
- An appreciation of all the life cycle stages of rail infrastructure.
- Risk assessment competence.
- Construction Design Management (CDM) competence.
- Foundation degree in engineering
- Membership of a relevant engineering professional institution.
- Experience in design, installation and maintenance.
- Formal qualifications in risk identification and assessment.
How to apply (External)
Network Rail adheres to a structured pay framework, any salary offered will be within the following pay range:
Salary £40,107 increasing to £45,120 per annum
Closing date: 28/09/2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes
*Please note we have adapted our recruitment processes in line with Government advice during COVID-19. Interviews will take place 'virtually' over video and for some office based roles the successful candidate may need to work from home initially using their own personal device. This guidance is subject to change, we will update you accordingly. We appreciate your understanding.
Click 'apply now' to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.Click here for more information
Network Rail understands that things don't always fit neatly into schedules and we want to make sure this is reflected in the new agile way of working. Put simply, this is about being flexible about where and when you work. We want to help you to invest in your career while balancing other aspects of your life"
Want to find out about what benefits we offer? click here
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks. Click here for more information