|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
The Role In a Nutshell:
The Logistics & Supply Chain department, based in the London office, has an opening for an experienced Engineering Team Lead to guide the Supply Chain Simulation team.
The department’s mission is to build and run a market-leading supply chain system enabling our OSP (Ocado Smart Platform) customers to deliver great service to their customers and run a sustainable business. In short: to ensure customers receive what they expect, to forecast the demand for each and every product, and to enable our warehouses to have precise enough stock to run at optimum efficiency and meet the predicted demand.
The Supply Chain Simulation team exists to provide a digital twin to the Supply Chain departments production teams, allowing for research into the development of more business efficient algorithms, to model the performance of production code in warehouses that have yet to be built, and enabling the business to understand the impact of decisions for our OSP customers. This blog post “Where Physical and Digital Worlds Collide” from Paul Clarke, our CTO provides a good overview on digital twins and how much Ocado values simulations.
Consequently Supply Chain Simulation is an exciting team, comprising software engineers and simulation analysts, one that provides a stimulating environment with a steady stream of interesting, challenging and stretching problems to solve. Creativity, invention, logic, lateral-thinking are just a few of the skills required.
What Would I Be Doing?
The main goals of this role are to lead the team of software engineers and simulation analyst(s) in the development of the Supply Chain Simulation, in the further integration of the Simulation with production teams and the department, and in the wider use of the Simulation by the business.
Responsibilities of the Role Include:
- Guiding the day-to-day processes & operation of the team, ensuring the work focuses on sustainably delivering items of high-value to stakeholder driven timescales.
- Developing sufficient domain knowledge & technical knowledge in the worlds of Supply Chain and Simulation to be able to actively participate in specifying software solutions for business needs.
- Being a champion for the Supply Chain Simulation within the Supply Chain department, within the wider Simulation Community, and within the business.
- Collaboratively developing and implementing engineering standards and processes to aid in further high quality development of the Simulation software.
- Leading discussions around the long-term technical direction of the Supply Chain Simulation.
- Build and promote a positive motivational culture and working environment within the team and the organisation.
- Maintain a process of continuous improvement, with regard to yourself, the team and the Simulation software.
- Mentor members of your team around their strengths and weaknesses to help members of the team grow with their professional and personal development.
- Effectively manage team members in line with company policy and procedures, including performance, development, disciplinary and conflict resolution.
- Proactively report and communicate to the wider organisation on team progress, successes and challenges.
We’re interested in speaking to people who have:
- Experience of managing significant-scale open-ended uncertain research-type projects and delivering high-value from such projects.
- Demonstrable adaptability: mastering a wide & technically complex brief quickly,working under pressure and remaining positive, and adjusting to rapidly changing requirements.
- A proven track record of developing high-quality software to business specification whilst understanding processes and requirements.
- A track record of strong technical leadership and encouraging it within others.
- Experience of shaping an effective software delivery process within a team.
- A caring, patient & listening approach to people management.
- Demonstrable ability to have a positive inspirational impact on others and communicate openly and directly to individuals and groups at all levels.
- Demonstrable ability to influence decisions by developing and maintaining relationships with senior product and engineering managers.
- Demonstrable ability to manage time effectively.
- Demonstrable ability to translate strategic objectives into everyday activity and guide and motivate others to do the same.
- A good degree in a numerical subject
Bonus points for experience with any of the following:
- Simulation experience, either managerial or technical
- Supply chain experience
If you think this is you, and you are an energised, experienced, intellectually curious, empathetic and technically proficient team lead who is interested in a role that combines research, production, and team development in a dynamic fast-moving environment, then please apply!
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.