|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Our Handling Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Handling Robotics sits our Asset Handling Automation teams, who oversee the development of product handling systems. We are looking for an accomplished Electrical Design Engineer who will help us to carry out essential electrical design activities including the design of control panels and wire routing, mainly using Eplan SmartWire software.
How you’ll spend your time
- Designing electrical machines and sub systems for products that are required for Ocado customer fulfilment centres.
- Define cable routing within the control panel and external machine using Eplan SmartWire
- Designing by selecting and configuring controls, power and safety system architecture for new automation equipment for AC & DC systems.
- Engage in and facilitate technical review sessions in which technical and architectural decisions may get discussed, and designs will be evaluated, in line with project scope.
- Collaborate with internal and external teams from initial scoping meetings, to define and develop solutions and architectures for new projects.
- Investigate and justify the development of new solutions to improve costs / functionality / performance.
- Participate in change control and version control process as required both for the Team developments and to support the AHA Department in general.
- Actively contribute to the process of continuous improvement, with regard to self, team and systems; including mentoring and skills development.
- Identifying new ideas to improve our products, and producing reference designs to prove and implement these concepts.
- Preparing for manufacture (Bill of Materials, Harness drawings) and supporting external suppliers with the transfer of contract for machines with production volumes from 10 offs to 10000s
- Specifying and selecting electrical components, for EU and International applications
- Power calculations and budgeting.
- Solving engineering problems plus relevant investigation activities, and present root cause analysis and solutions.
- Support development of design verification test plans working within relevant regulations and advising on test procedures and test rigs.
We’re interested in people with
- Proven experience of working actively on DFMEA, PFMEA
- Considerable experience with EPLAN – minimum 3 years’ experience.
- Ability to develop and maintain electrical calculations thermal modelling of system electrical components
- Working to requirements, developing Functional design specifications.
- Ability to select standard components and design automation products.
- Experience of working on electrical cabinets and control systems for global application.
- Demonstrated evidence of collaborating with suppliers and contract manufacturers.
- Confidence in developing products to high manufacturing volumes.
- A background working through a full product development lifecycle.
Bonus points if you also have
- Experience of simulation of electrical systems
- Experience of working with Siemens PLC
- Experience of simulation, electromechanical architecture, Solidworks.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.