We are seeking a Health & Safety Manager on an initial 12-month contract, to work in our London office, based in Victoria, with occasional travel to other locations in the UK (we are currently working virtually). The role will be fundamental in maintaining our health, safety and risk policies and procedures across the Telegraph Media Group (TMG) and will have a particular focus in supporting our editorial teams and developing health & safety within our Victoria HQ.
- Lead on the delivery of TMG's health & safety to ensure that the company and its staff are not placed in any unnecessary risk.
- Raise awareness of health & safety across the business to ensure that it is embedded into the culture.
- Monitor and review health & safety policies and practices to ensure they are consistently updated in line with legislation and communicated across TMG.
- Investigate accidents and produce accident reports and notifications to the relevant bodies when necessary.
- Support staff by providing specialist advice, coaching, training and practical guidance particularly when travelling/working abroad or in a high-risk environment.
- Review and authorise all risk assessments for all TMG activities. Highlight significant risks to the HR Director.
- Advise on current and emerging health & safety legislation in line with best practice, including evaluating options, making recommendations and generating action plans to ensure compliance across TMG.
- Highlight any weaknesses concerning the provision of health & safety measures and statutory compliance to the HR Director.
- Ensure general DSE compliance for all employees.
- Coordinate first aid and fire marshal representatives and ensure that all health & safety related qualifications for employees are valid and up to date with necessary training and refresher training provided, as and when required, e.g. First Aid, HEAT, etc.
- Conduct regular health & safety compliance audits, including the implementation of agreed recommendations and action plans within agreed timescales. Manage health & safety suppliers and monitor the stock of first aid and emergency provisions and equipment.
- Coordinate the organisation of TMG's health & safety committee and quarterly meetings to provide effective oversight of health & safety activities and responsibilities at TMG.
- Keep abreast of world events (planned or unplanned) which may impact employees travelling or at home and may require special provisions.
- Input into employee wellbeing as part of our duty of care as an employer.
Telegraph Media Group’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
Essential skills required for the role
- Appropriate Health & Safety qualification or accreditation
- Experience delivering risk assessments for overseas travel
- Knowledgeable on health & safety legislation and current thinking
- A confident communicator who can work effectively with a wide range of TMG employees
Additional Skills useful for the role
- Experience working with hostile environments, ideally internationally