|Job Type:||Full Time|
Expiry Date: 16:00, 23 September 2020
Salary: £45,455.00 - £50,546.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Free rail or Metrolink travel to/from work within Greater Manchester and free bus travel within Greater Manchester.
Would you like the opportunity to develop IT infrastructure solutions and services that will play a role in Transport for Greater Manchester’s future Digital infrastructure? Are you seeking a new challenge to work with complex and interesting systems, identifying and resolving platform issues?
TfGM are seeking an AWS Infrastructure Engineer with a background in Digital Operations/Systems to help transform our infrastructure to a Modern Desktop and Modern Datacentre to be proud of. This is a great opportunity to join a fast growing and exciting team who are providing services that have far-reaching and pivotal roles in the traveling public lives.
We know that better digital services in government will mean better public services, with the power to make a difference to lives of our Manchester citizens and you can play a part in this.
The scale of change, the size of the investment and the dedicated team we have in the business today make it an exciting place to work with a lot of scope to deliver first-class products and services and continue your own personal development journey. There is a dress-down culture, a dynamic working environment and with a culture that collaborates, shares, continually learns, challenges and embraces better ways of doing things to continually meet user needs through technology and data.
The breadth of what we do is wide and varied, and we are innovating fast.
As our Infrastructure Engineer at TfGM you will be responsible for continuously improving the infrastructure, deploying and managing environments, help engineers work more efficiently and improve the tools that TfGM already deploys. In this role you will help resolve issues that occur and be proactive in supporting teams and find innovative solutions. You will also be involved in contributing your ideas to platform architecture and design to drive continuous improvement.
You will be able to demonstrate the skills and experience in the following key areas:
- Significant experience acting as 3rd line support for incidents, problems and changes to infrastructure solutions and services
- Significant experience of performing the administration and support of all infrastructure solutions and services
- Experience of technical change impacting, and performing changes in a live service environment
- Monitoring of infrastructure services and alerts and taking appropriate action.
- Experience of configuration and maintenance of file services
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve complex problems across multiple technology domains
- Ability to effectively communicate at different levels, across level 2 and level 3 technical teams, business users, architecture and 3rd party suppliers and end users
- Strong stakeholder management skillsets, with ability to communicate effectively across all organisational levels.
- You will have AWS System operations administration certification or equivalent experience
- You will also have GCSE qualifications or equivalent
- Strong Microsoft/Linux infrastructure engineer skills (OnPrem and cloud), preferably from a systems support background.
- Contributing to the management and maintenance of the AWS hosted infrastructure, covering all environments from Dev to production.
- Good experience with public and private clouds
- Exposure of managing and maintaining a CI/CD build pipelines (Jenkins, Drone, Git, Azure DevOps)
- Good experience in using identity and security services (Active Directory, Azure AD, AWS IAM, AWS Security hub etc)
- Strong experience in software and OS deployment toolsets (Ansible, Puppet, Terraform)
- Experience Scripting and automation on Windows and Linux OS, e.g. Bash, Git, Python, PowerShell, SQL, JSON, YAML, etc
- Knowledge of analytical tools such as Nagios, Grafana, ELK, Prometheus, Azure Monitor etc.
- Exposure to containers with docker and Kubernetes.
- 3rd line infrastructure support experience
The salary for this role is £40,555 - £45,646 per annum with an additional £4,900 per annum paid as a market supplement. Salary will be based upon skills and experience.
The market supplement is paid monthly and will be reviewed in December 2020.
We will be holding a virtual Live Recruitment Event on Friday 11th September which will allow you to meet our Head of IS and IS senior hiring managers. You can find out more information about this and register your attendance via the below link;
We have attached a role profile to this advert which highlights the career path available for roles within this area of work. For this role you should review the section of the role profile and person specification which relate to the role of Infrastructure Engineer. To apply please provide your CV incorporating a summary of how you meet our requirements.
In return, as well as a competitive salary, we also offer a range of fantastic benefits, such as:
- Free Rail or Metrolink travel to and from work within the Greater Manchester boundary
- Free bus travel within Greater Manchester
- 27 days holiday per annum
- Access to the local government pension scheme
At Transport for Greater Manchester we encourage candidates to discuss flexible working options at any stage of the recruitment process.
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone regardless of age, disability, gender, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation. We are actively building a diverse workforce and want to create an inclusive environment as we recognise the importance of our workforce reflecting the communities we serve.
Transport for Greater Manchester is a fast-moving organisation with lots to deliver – so we may not wait until the closing date to review applications. As a result, you should submit your application as soon as possible!!
NOTE TO AGENCIES – we will be accepting direct applications only for this role. No fee will be paid if a candidate is hired for this position as a result of an unsolicited agency or search firm referral CV.