|Job Type:||Full Time|
Department NameRoute Services
About Network Rail
We at Network Rail are dedicated to becoming one of Britain's best employers and believe this starts with placing the candidate at the heart of everything we do!
Our ambition to be responsive to passengers and freight users, drives us every day and we're empowered to do the right thing for those who use the rail network. We actively challenge unsafe practices and take responsibility for addressing risks, resolving issues and protecting safety and wellbeing.
We're passionate about great service and we ask ourselves, what can we do to put our passengers and freight users at the centre of everything we do? With this in mind, we pull together as one industry because we care about people and teamwork is key. For more information about Network Rail click here.
Route Services is a division of Network Rail, formed to provide our routes with services and supplies that they need in order to maintain and deliver a better railway for a better Britain. We work with our customers to provide them with the safest, most cost-efficient and effective services enabling them to benefit from economies of scale and optimised national resources.
Network Rail Design Delivery (NRDD) are a part of Route Services and provide a managed service for design delivery through a regionally-structured, multi-disciplinary organisation and relationships with supply chain design organisations. NRDD bring a range of different specialisations including Signalling, E&P, B&C and Track Design that complement each other to improve the overall diverse service offering.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the development and growth of a multi-disciplinary engineering team. The project work is varied and involves scheme designs that affect the operational railway, the public urban realm and the built environment. Our current portfolio includes design and assessment of bridges, retaining walls, ancillary structures, foundations and earthworks. We also carry out option development for major rail infrastructure projects in feasibility stages and help develop Network Rail's standard design catalogue. We work alongside geotechnical, structural, buildings and architectural designers and other Integrated design teams within Network Rail in a collaborative and multi-disciplinary environment.
About the role (External)
Our portfolio is growing so we are looking for proactive, enthusiastic and customer-focused people to help us grow our knowledge and skills bringing our services to a wider audience. The successful candidate will To be responsible for the engineering development and design of allocated proposals from clarification of remit to project completion, managing so that the engineering solutions to proposals are developed to best satisfy the business case.
The successful candidate will have the following:
1. Experience in geotechnical examination and specification of monitoring.
2. Sound technical capability and familiarity with current industry standards and software applications such as WALLAP, SLIDE, Settle 3D, … etc.
3. Experience in ground investigation supervision, laboratory test scheduling and reporting.
4. Ability to clearly communicate technical detail to both a technical and non-technical audience.
5. Understanding of environmental requirements of geotechnical schemes.
1. Manage so that the development remit for a proposal properly describes the engineering requirements, scope, possibilities and operational performance targets and maintain a robust challenge to sponsoring engineers and managers, in order to monitor and value manage the business and technical remit and thereby optimise the business case.
2. Manage and monitor so that all engineering and development activities result in schemes that are affordable and that meet programme requirements in a safe and environmentally responsible manner for time, cost and quality.
3. Manage the development of suitable engineering options for a proposal so that full consideration is given to safety, reliability, operational capacity modelling, maintainability, ease of construction, and environmental/whole life issues. Engineering excellence is to be supported by:
a. Secure all relevant base data.
b. Review compliance with appropriate standards.
c. Using risk ID and evaluation methods (e.g. HAZOP, QRA, LRM, and the GK/RT/14200 suite), as suitable, to evaluate and compare options.
d. Using feedback from all relevant past projects across the UK rail network, lessons learned etc.
e. Keep designers up to date via training, briefings, CPD etc.
4. Maintain strict change control on scope development; evaluate cost, time and performance impacts in conjunction with development management.
5. Participate in the selection of a single option for further development. Prepare or monitor preparation of reports, papers etc as necessary.
6. Manage to the development of the selected single option.
7. Prepare the full engineering data package required for commencement of the detailed design, and participate in answering on-going clarifications/queries as needed.
8. Discharge the Construction Design Management (CDM) duties as required and carry out or monitor cross-discipline engineering checks of all relevant aspects of the proposal.
9. Manage independent checking of safety critical design documentation, where applicable.
10. Resource adequately the feasibility stages of project development, in both the quality and quantity of Network Rail and supplier staff, and in the use of the most appropriate support equipment.
11. Manage the engineering interfaces of allocated proposals with concurrent work in other disciplines, or within other programmes.
12. Act as or liaise with the appropriate Project Engineer during project delivery so that design solutions, method statements for site works, and surveys in particular, are produced and approved to the required standards.
Monitor, assess, evaluate and audit, where required, design outputs from internal designers, Consultants and Contractors during project delivery.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- A Civil Engineering or Engineering Geology degree or equivalent industry-recognised training qualification.
- A demonstrable aptitude for option development.
- Strong evaluation and decision-making skills.
- A working knowledge of rail engineering; relevant successful experience working in the principal discipline and an adequate understanding of all other related disciplines.
- An ability to work and communicate effectively in a team context.
- An appreciation of all the life cycle stages of rail infrastructure.
- CDM, Risk assessment and external audit competency.
- Membership of a relevant engineering professional institution.
- Experience in design, installation and maintenance.
- Formal qualifications in risk identification and assessment.
- Six Sigma Green Belt.
How to apply (External)
Network Rail adheres to a structured pay framework, any salary offered will be within the following pay range:
Salary £40,107 increasing to £45,120 per annum
Closing date: 22/09/2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes
*Please note we have adapted our recruitment processes in line with Government advice during COVID-19. Interviews will take place 'virtually' over video and for some office based roles the successful candidate may need to work from home initially using their own personal device. This guidance is subject to change, we will update you accordingly. We appreciate your understanding.
Click 'apply now' to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.Click here for more information
Network Rail understands that things don't always fit neatly into schedules and we want to make sure this is reflected in the new agile way of working. Put simply, this is about being flexible about where and when you work. We want to help you to invest in your career while balancing other aspects of your life"
Want to find out about what benefits we offer? click here
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks. Click here for more information