|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative cu
Our Handling Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Handling Robotics sits our Storage & Fulfillment teams, who oversee the development of product handling systems, developed by our design team for manufacture. Once successfully released the product will be handed over to Ocado’s Engineering Supply Chain team, who manage ongoing manufacture. We are searching for an accomplished Manufacturing Development Engineer who will be responsible for the process and procedures for transitioning products into full manufacture including work instructions, test procedures and test and assembly jigs and fixtures.
How you’ll spend your days...
- You will ensure that all products developed by Ocado are optimised for manufacture and assembly.
- Oversee the transitioning of our developed products from prototype to full manufacture.
- Influencing our designs to enhance manufacturing processes
- Ensure process capability for components through development by identifying and tracking critical to quality parameters (CTQ).
- Identifying and delivering test and assembly fixture requirements.
- Participating in value engineering activities.
- Acting as the primary technical interface with the supplier
- You will be required to carry out FAT’s with our manufacturers on site, and so some overseas travel may be necessary
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
We want to talk to people with...
- Proven experience in design for manufacture in areas such as industrial equipment, instrumentation, high volume manufacture or FMCG
- Background in value engineering
- Strong stakeholder management and negotiation skills, from the shop floor to Senior Managers
- Knowledge of latest manufacturing processes and how best to apply them to ensure the highest manufacturing quality and cost optimisation.
- Experience in successfully transferring products from one manufacturing site to a new one
- A passion for continuous process improvement
- Experience of process capability, statistical process controls (SPC) and critical parameter management
- Demonstrates awareness and application of analytical tools to aid the manufacturing process PFMEA; FAST; Critical Parameters; 6 Sigma
- Good investigative and problem-solving skills with excellent attention to detail.
- An engineering / science qualification is preferable
Bonus points if you also have...
- Experience in CTQ parameter management and statistical aspects of process capability including Cp and
- CpK analysis.
- Experience in predicting process and cycle time and balancing manufacturing lines.
- Proven track record of successfully introducing new suppliers and building appropriate supplier relationships
- Experience in working across a spectrum of manufacturing processes including injection moulded and vacuum formed plastics, metal extrusion, metal fabrication and forming and electronics
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.