|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
In a nutshell...
The Ocean Infrastructure Unix team ensures that the mostly Linux-based infrastructure services powering Ocado, the world's largest online-only grocery retailer, run as reliably and efficiently as possible. We continually drive improvements and love to automate everything we can on our journey towards reliable infrastructure as code. Join us and you’ll work with smart engineers across a range of technologies to create, support and maintain the services that delight our customers.
You will be responsible for proactively improving our Unix/Linux, Storage, and Virtualisation environments, delivering business projects and providing feedback and support to adhere to Service Levels. Your exceptional systems engineering and automation skills will be challenged and appreciated daily.
What we’d like you to do…
- Engage in improving the whole lifecycle of Linux-based infrastructure services—from inception and design, through to engineering, deployment, and operations using DevOps principles..
- Resolve operational problems rapidly and proactively improve our Unix/Linux, Storage, and Virtualisation environments to avoid & mitigate future incidents.
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring indicators such as availability, latency and overall system health against SLOs.
- Optimise Linux-based systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation and API self-service, and evolve services by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Create and maintain quality documentation and records.
What we look for:
- A proven track record of success as an Infrastructure Engineer
- Recent non-trivial coding experience with confidence in at least one programming language - preferably Python.
- Ability to communicate effectively within the team and with stakeholders.
- Self-starter, collaborative, methodical, comfortable learning quickly with a sense of ownership.
- Extensive troubleshooting experience (including when under pressure)
- In-depth engineering experience with some of the following technologies:
- Linux internals
- Puppet / Ansible/ AWS DevOps / Terraform or similar configuration management tools
- VMware ESX
- NetApp / NAS systems
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience of pSeries,Docker, FAI, Public/Private Cloud, Storage Arrays
- Experience in creating insightful dashboards using tools such as Grafana
- Exposure to Agile
- Familiarity with SDLC, ITIL and SRE.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.