|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits the Bot Hardware Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Bots. Our Mechanical Design team is looking for an accomplished Mechanical Design Engineer, who will be responsible for the design of automation equipment systems, sub-systems and components. You may be involved at any stage from translating requirements, through concept generation, detail design, manufacturer support to design updates and enhancements.
How you’ll spend your days...
- Carrying out detailed mechanical design work including 3D modelling, calculations, simulation and design verification testing as needed
- Selecting mechanical parts taking into consideration functionality, cost, availability and obsolescence
- Creating technical specifications including functional design specifications, 2D drawings, assembly drawings and bills of materials
- Supporting the transition of designs into manufacture
- Designing products comprised of both commercial off-the-shelf and bespoke components, using varying manufacturing techniques (for example machining, casting, extrusion, injection moulding)
We’re passionate about people with...
- A great track record in designing complex electro-mechanical automation systems, machines or products that have gone into production
- Expert experience in CAD; preferably SolidWorks and PDM software
- Substantial experience drafting to BS8888 with the use of GD&T
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Mechanical Engineering qualification is preferable
- A good understanding of component selection
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on our your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis, not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.