|Job Type:||Full Time|
“Ocado Technology, researching, designing, engineering the next generation of hardware & software solutions through disruptive innovation”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits the Bot Hardware Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Bots. Our Mechanical Engineering team is looking for an accomplished Manufacturing Development Engineer, who will be responsible for the smooth transition of Ocado’s technology systems, developed by our Development team, into manufacture. You would be key in determining the process and procedures for transitioning products into full manufacture including work instructions, processes times, test procedures and test and assembly fixtures.
How you’ll spend your days...
- You will ensure that all products developed by Ocado are optimised for manufacture and assembly.
- Oversee the transitioning of our developed products from prototype to full manufacture.
- Collaborate closely with our manufacturing partners in order to optimise and document the manufacturing process.
- In doing so be able to identify and deliver test and assembly fixture requirement.
- Ensure process capability for components through to the system by identifying and tracking critical to quality parameters (CTQ).
- Run measurement system analysis (MSA) on test equipment.
- Actively participate in value engineering activities.
- Act as the primary technical interface with our suppliers.
- Actively participate in the Patent process for Ocado Engineering
- Help to mentor and coach junior team members
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
We want to talk to people with...
- Proven experience of transferring designs into manufacture in either a high volume industrial equipment or manufacturing industry;
- Background in value engineering;
- Strong stakeholder management and negotiation skills, from the shop floor to Senior Managers;
- Knowledge of latest manufacturing processes and how best to apply them to ensure the highest manufacturing quality and cost optimisation;
- Experience in successfully transferring products from one manufacturing site to another;
- A passion for continuous process improvement;
- Experience of process capability, statistical process controls (SPC) and critical parameter management;
- Experience in the application of analytical tools to aid the manufacturing process PFMEA, FAST, Critical Parameters and 6 Sigma;
- Proven knowledge and experience of performing advanced statistical maths as part of day-to-day work;
- Good investigative and problem-solving skills with excellent attention to detail;
- An engineering / science qualification.
Bonus points if you also have...
- Experience in CTQ parameter management and statistical aspects of process capability including Cp and CpK analysis;
- Experience in predicting process and cycle times in order to balance manufacturing lines;
- Proven track record of successfully introducing new suppliers and building appropriate supplier relationships;
- Experience in working across a spectrum of manufacturing processes including injection moulded and vacuum formed plastics, metal extrusion, metal forming, metal fabrication, CNC machining and electronics manufacture.
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on our your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis, not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.