|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What would I be doing?
This role is to develop novel electromechanical, robotic and automated systems and the associated electronics, mechanics and software.
The roles and responsibilities of this role include:
- Designing electronics, mechanics and wireless communications for new systems
- Writing high level and low level (embedded) software
- System integration and testing
- Researching and applying the latest academic and industrial technique
- Liaising with external organisations (e.g. universities, companies, government organisations) to progress collaborative initiatives
What does the 10x team do?
As a Innovation Engineer in the 10x Technology Team, you will be responsible for working on novel projects that involve fast system prototyping and experimentation. You will be required to create products for internal and external consumption. You will design and execute cutting edge experiments that have the potential to enhance or transform the way Ocado uses technology. You will be comfortable sharing your knowledge and expertise with the rest of the company, as well as disseminating complicated information and techniques to senior members of the business. You will contribute to technical blog posts, papers, patent applications and open sourcing.
You will be immersed into an environment of innovation and collaboration, covering a broad spectrum of disciplines including machine learning, software engineering, mechanical and electrical engineering, and mobile robotics. Within this environment you will apply what you've learnt so far in your education and career, expand your knowledge and experience what it is like to work in an R&D environment.
What we are looking for:
You are a collaborative, entrepreneurial T-shaped person who enjoys continuous self-improvement with a passion for building innovative and elegant solutions to problems.
- You have demonstrable experience in: Technical Design,
- Rapid Prototyping,
- A strong academic background for example: strong public examination grades in maths/science/engineering subjects in the final year of secondary school
- A 2-1 or higher grade in a degree in maths, science, computing, engineering or other similarly relevant subject
- a Masters-level or PhD-level qualification in maths, science, computing, engineering or other similarly relevant subject
- experience of studying academic papers from the leading international research conferences (on computer vision, natural language processing, robotics, control engineering, artificial intelligence, machine learning, computer science or engineering) and using the theory, practice and any related open source software associated with the academic papers in your developments of innovative systems. (Please provide a list of relevant experience).
- experience of developing innovative systems based on a sound understanding of theoretical underlying principles, techniques or methods. (Please provide a list of relevant experience and highlight any theoretical underlying principles or techniques used)
This would make you stand out from the crowd:
- Machine Learning,
- Human Machine Interaction,
- Robotics (ROS),
- Machine Shop Skills & Fabrication,
- Another dimension - e.g. art/graphics design, user interface design, sketching, presenting, leading, organising, technical writing, creativity e.g. music composition or performance / painting / authoring
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.