|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits the Bot Hardware Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Bots. Our Electrical Engineering team is looking for a passionate Electrical Design Engineer who will be responsible for the design of electrical machines and systems for products that are required for Ocado customer fulfilment centres.
What would I be doing?
- Designing by Selecting and configuring controls, power and safety system architecture for new automation equipment for AC & DC systems.
- Identifying new ideas to improve our products, and producing reference designs to prove and implement these concepts, including helping develop a rapid and flexible development process.
- Preparing for manufacture (Bill of Materials, Harness drawings) and working with external suppliers.
- Designing automated machines, their sub systems or their components using control systems, machinery systems and sub-systems
- Specifying and selecting electrical components, for EU and International applications
- Power calculations and budgeting.
- Conducting and participating in design review for new product designs and changes/modifications to existing designs.
- Solving engineering problems plus relevant investigation activities, and present root cause analysis and solutions.
- Approving and signing off drawings.
- Supporting the transfer to a contract manufacturer for machines with production volumes from 10 offs to 10000s
- Working with relevant regulations and setting electrical engineering best practice within the R&D Team.
- Be able to review design outputs from both internal and external design resources.
- Advising on test procedures and test rigs
- Support development of design verification test plans.
What we are looking for people with
- Extensive work on DFMEA, PFMEA
- Essential hands on experience of EPLAN
- The ability to select standard components and design automation products.
- Experience of working on electrical cabinets and control systems for global application.
- Demonstrated evidence of working with suppliers and contract manufacturers.
- Confident in developing products to high manufacturing volumes.
- Experience of full product development lifecycle.
Bonus points if you also have
- Knowledge of simulation of electrical systems
- Experience of working with Matlab
- Experience of simulation, electromechanical architecture, Solidworks.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.