|Job Type:||Full Time|
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
The Perception Robotics department aims to automate physical processes that require sensing and judgement through the use of robotics and machine vision.
Currently, our focus is on robotic pick - using sensors and robotic arms to pick customers’ orders. This is already live in our Erith CFC, but there is still much work to be done to streamline and harden the system for widespread deployment across all sites, to optimise the throughput of the system, and to enhance the system’s functionality e.g. so it can pick a wider product range.
Additionally, we will take on new missions, such as using what we have learnt from robotic pick to create robotic decant, and developing advanced guidance for AGVs to move pallets of stock and completed orders.
We are building new teams in this area, and need great software engineers and roboticists of varied levels of experience to join us, forge a great team together, and drive the advancement of cutting edge robotics and automation.
As an engineer in this team, your role will be:
- To collaborate with your teammates to implement best-in-class robotic solutions to CFC problems.
- To work with your product owner to understand what to build.
- To help your colleagues grow, develop, learn.
What we’d like you to do…
- Implement new features and technical improvements to our robotic systems
- Participate in design activities, technical discovery and code reviews
- Liaise with the research teams, taking their research and making it real in a production system
- Develop sophisticated test harnesses and simulations to validate and optimise the robotics systems
- Work with the team on continuous improvement of the development process
- Help maintain clear communication around features and changes with stakeholders
- Measure and analyse software quality
- Promote good engineering practices, bug prevention strategies, testability and other advanced quality concepts.
What we look for...
We'd love to talk to you if you have...
- Strong Python software engineering skills
- Focus on quality
- Driven to learn and improve
- Good communication skills
- Highly collaborative
- Good analytical and logical skills, including troubleshooting skills
- 2:1 or higher (or equivalent) degree in Robotics / Computer Science / Maths / Physics / Engineering or other related field
Bonus points if you also have...
- C++ or Java experience
- Robotics & computer vision experience, and experience of related technologies such as ROS
- Automation experience
- Git / GitLab experience
- Agile experience
- Experience with continuous integration environments and methodologies
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on our your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts across Ocado.com and Fetch.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis, not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.