|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.Ocado’s Automation Development department is at the cutting-edge of our engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke Mechanical Handling Equipment (MHE) development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits the Bot Hardware Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Bots. Our Mechanical Design team is looking for an accomplished Design Change Engineer to be responsible for the engineering changes of automation equipment systems, sub-systems and components. You would be involved at any stage from translating requirements, through concept generation, detail design, manufacturer support to design updates and enhancements.
How you'll spend your days...
- You will design and select a wide range of mechanical components taking into account manufacturability, cost, weight etc in response to problem statements raised by the customer
- Being responsible for the design of mechanical and electro-mechanical sub-systems
- Using various analytical tools to substantiate design decisions
- Understanding and applying regulatory requirements to designs in development
- Selecting, working with and managing manufacturers and suppliers
- Ensuring schedules are met and both project and technical risks are mitigated
We're interested in people with…
- A proven track record of designing complex electromechanical automation systems, machines and mechanisms that have gone into volume production;
- Demonstrable track record of designing for CNC machining and sheet metal fabrication;
- A relevant Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Mechanical Engineering qualification with experience;
- Experience of delivering work packages to time and budget constraints;
- Familiar with risk identification and activities to de-risk designs through analysis and testing;
- Expert experience in using CAD software including substantial experience draughting to BS8888 with the use of GD&T;
- The ability to generate documentation and supporting calculations required for the business and for certification technical files (CE, UL CSA or other);
- Familiar with regulatory and safety standards to design CE / UL and CSA compliant products.
- Used to working in a fast paced, changing, professional environment;
- Willing to travel both in the UK and abroad to meet manufacturers and attend meetings
Bonus points if you also have...
- A track record of taking designs for injection moulding and high pressure die casting through tooling and into production;
- Experienced in using SolidWorks and PDM software;
- Familiar with designing for manufacture in volumes up to 20K P;
- Experienced in generating realistic schedules and tracking progress against them;
- Comfortable presenting ideas, convincing others and making presentations to a group audience;
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.