This department's aim is to tell world-class Visual Storytelling that matches the quality journalism of The Telegraph, increasing core engagement for a range of our readers across print and digital.
The team works on daily creative content for The Telegraph's website and app, Snapchat, newspaper, and reactional content based on daily or long-form content.
The Telegraph are looking for a highly creative Design Director on a 6 month fixed term contract to help develop visual storytelling across The Telegraph. Be part of the award-winning Visual Storytelling team where experimentation and learning are encouraged.
What you’ll be doing
- Leading a team who are creating visual stories, in an innovative and highly creative manner
- Working closely with the art director to set goals, strategies and processes
- Working to fast-paced deadlines, across a number of different platforms (our apps, Instagram, Snapchat and more)
- Collaborating with Product, Graphics, Video Editors, Editors and Journalists to brainstorm and storyboard stories for the day’s topics and broader news agenda
- Working with the Creative Director, to develop an industry-leading approach on these platforms as we continue to develop world-class visual storytelling across both print and digital platforms
- Experience managing large teams of creatives – or assembling teams for specific projects – you’ll understand how to drive projects through to completion, give really good feedback and clarity of direction.
- A strong set of design skills – great typography, an eye for color, and be fiercely creative with it
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment, working as part of a team
- Interested in current affairs and have a passion for telling stories
- Know your Instagram Stories from your Snapchats
- Energetic, and an appetite for experimentation and a good sense of fun
- An open-minded and receptive approach to innovating and iterating your designs.
- Know your way around Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop and be able to dabble in After Effect
- Personal and career development opportunities such as communication, soft skills and industry qualifications
- Work within a dynamic team, who challenge the status quo and champion agile working & continuous improvement; adopting the Telegraph’s values - being together, fearless, open-minded and informed - in everything we do
- 25 days’ holiday; rising to 30 days after 3 years’ service, private pension, plus lifestyle, health & wellbeing and financial benefits.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.